Monica Gandhi, MD, MPH
Dr. Gandhi has been at UCSF since 1996 when she came here for her medical residency after attending Harvard Medical School. She completed an ID fellowship at UCSF from 1999-2003 and a Masters’ in Public Health in Epidemiology/Biostatistics from the University of California, Berkeley in 2001, as well as a Traineeship in AIDS Prevention Studies (TAPS) post-doctoral fellowship. She has been an NIH funded researcher since 2003, first with a K23 award and now with multiple R01 and R21 grants to help run the UCSF Hair Analytical Laboratory (HAL), a laboratory that focuses on objective adherence metrics to HIV treatment and prevention for multiple UCSF-based and global investigators in hair and urine. She served on the Office of AIDS Research Advisory Committee (OARAC) from 2014-2017 and Chair from 2017-2018. She also serves on the ACTG Executive Committee. She has served as the co-director of the CFAR Mentoring Program for the past five years and has a dedicated interest in HIV mentorship and education.
Dr. Gandhi serves as the Medical Director of the Ward 86 HIV Clinic (since January 2014) and won the HIV Medical Association (HIVMA) Clinical Educator Award in 2017 and was awarded the Master Clinician award in the Department of Medicine in 2019. Beyond an interest in adherence metrics and PrEP, Dr. Gandhi has a special interest in HIV and women and sex differences in HIV medicine. She is thrilled to serve in this role to support the HIV/AIDS researcher community across UCSF and our many affiliates. She is especially interested in mentoring early stage investigators, especially those from underrepresented racial/ethnic minorities, from disadvantaged backgrounds, and with disabilities. Monica plans an open door policy with the CFAR community here at UCSF and is excited to serve with you all in continuing to make UCSF an innovative and exciting place to conduct HIV research.
- Analysis of Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitor Levels in Intracellular Compartments, Plasma and Hair in HIV-positive Women on HAARTMentored Scientist Award, SpringAward Mentor:FrancescaAweeka, PharmD
Displaying 1 - 25 of 291
- Rao PS, Modi N, Nguyen NT, Vu DH, Xie YL, Gandhi M, Gerona R, Metcalfe J, Heysell SK, Alffenaar JC. Alternative Methods for Therapeutic Drug Monitoring and Dose Adjustment of Tuberculosis Treatment in Clinical Settings: A Systematic Review. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2023 Mar 04.
- Mcinziba A, Wademan D, Viljoen L, Myburgh H, Jennings L, Decloedt E, Orrell C, van Zyl G, van Schalkwyk M, Gandhi M, Hoddinott G. Perspectives of people living with HIV and health workers about a point-of-care adherence assay: a qualitative study on acceptability. AIDS Care. 2023 Feb 13; 1-7.
- Christopoulos KA, Grochowski J, Mayorga-Munoz F, Hickey MD, Imbert E, Szumowski JD, Dilworth S, Oskarsson J, Shiels M, Havlir D, Gandhi M. First Demonstration Project of Long-Acting Injectable Antiretroviral Therapy for Persons With and Without Detectable Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Viremia in an Urban HIV Clinic. Clin Infect Dis. 2023 Feb 08; 76(3):e645-e651.
- Allan-Blitz LT, Gandhi M, Adamson P, Park I, Bolan G, Klausner JD. A Position Statement on Mpox as a Sexually Transmitted Disease. Clin Infect Dis. 2022 Dec 22.
- Blair CS, Gandhi M, Shoptaw S, Blades C, Clark JL. Contingency Management for Integrated Harm Reduction Among Men Who Have Sex with Men Who Use Methamphetamine in Los Angeles: A Pilot Assessment. AIDS Behav. 2022 Nov 21.
- Doron S, Gandhi M. New boosters are here! Who should receive them and when? Lancet Infect Dis. 2022 12; 22(12):1668-1669.
- Johnson KA, Okochi H, Arreguin M, Watabe J, Glidden DV, Chattopadhyay A, Imbert E, Hickey MD, Gandhi M, Spinelli M. Brief Report: Urine Tenofovir Levels Strongly Correlate with Virologic Suppression in Patients with HIV on Tenofovir Alafenamide-Based Antiretroviral Therapy. Clin Infect Dis. 2022 Oct 18.
- Scully EP, Aga E, Tsibris A, Archin N, Starr K, Ma Q, Morse GD, Squires KE, Howell BJ, Wu G, Hosey L, Sieg SF, Ehui L, Giguel F, Coxen K, Dobrowolski C, Gandhi M, Deeks S, Chomont N, Connick E, Godfrey C, Karn J, Kuritzkes DR, Bosch RJ, Gandhi RT. Impact of Tamoxifen on Vorinostat-Induced Human Immunodeficiency Virus Expression in Women on Antiretroviral Therapy: AIDS Clinical Trials Group A5366, The MOXIE Trial. Clin Infect Dis. 2022 Oct 12; 75(8):1389-1396.
- Hickey MD, Imbert E, Appa A, Del Rosario JB, Lynch E, Friend J, Avila R, Clemenzi-Allen A, Riley ED, Gandhi M, Havlir DV. HIV Treatment Outcomes in POP-UP: Drop-in HIV Primary Care Model for People Experiencing Homelessness. J Infect Dis. 2022 Oct 07; 226(Supplement_3):S353-S362.
- Forman LS, Lodi S, Fatch R, Emenyonu NI, Adong J, Ngabirano C, Jacobson KR, Gerona R, Reckers AR, Gandhi M, Muyindike WR, Hahn JA. Agreement Between Measures of Adherence to Isoniazid Preventive Therapy Among People With HIV in Uganda. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2022 Oct; 9(10):ofac516.
- Sharma A, Gandhi M, Sallabank G, Merrill L, Stephenson R. Perceptions and Experiences of Returning Self-collected Specimens for HIV, Bacterial STI and Potential PrEP Adherence Testing among Sexual Minority Men in the United States. AIDS Behav. 2022 Sep 12.
- Spinelli MA, Peluso MJ, Lynch KL, Yun C, Glidden DV, Henrich TJ, Deeks SG, Gandhi M. Differences in Post-mRNA Vaccination Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Immunoglobulin G (IgG) Concentrations and Surrogate Virus Neutralization Test Response by Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Status and Type of Vaccine: A Matched Case-Control Observational Study. Clin Infect Dis. 2022 Aug 24; 75(1):e916-e919.
- Gandhi M. Immunity Against the Omicron Variant From Vaccination, Recovery, or Both. Clin Infect Dis. 2022 08 24; 75(1):e672-e674.
- Spinelli MA, Le Tourneau N, Glidden DV, Hsu L, Hickey MD, Imbert E, Arreguin M, Jain JP, Oskarsson JJ, Buchbinder SP, Johnson MO, Havlir D, Christopoulos KA, Gandhi M. Impact of Multicomponent Support Strategies on Human Immunodeficiency Virus Virologic Suppression Rates During Coronavirus Disease 2019: An Interrupted Time Series Analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2022 Aug 24; 75(1):e947-e954.
- Nematadzira TG, Murnane PM, Odiase OJ, Bacchetti P, Okochi H, Tallerico R, Chanaiwa VM, Vhembo T, Mutambanengwe-Jacob MT, Louie A, Chipato T, Gandhi M, Stranix-Chibanda L, IMPAACT PROMISE Study Team. Antiretroviral Therapy Adherence During and Postbreastfeeding Cessation Measured by Tenofovir Levels in Hair. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2022 11 01; 91(3):237-241.
- Niu X, Kubiak RW, Siriprakaisil O, Klinbuyaem V, Sukrakanchana PO, Cressey R, Okochi H, Gandhi M, Cressey TR, Drain PK. Tenofovir-Diphosphate in Dried Blood Spots vs Tenofovir in Urine/Plasma for Oral Preexposure Prophylaxis Adherence Monitoring. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2022 Aug; 9(8):ofac405.
- van Zyl G, Jennings L, Kellermann T, Nkantsu Z, Cogill D, van Schalkwyk M, Spinelli M, Decloedt E, Orrell C, Gandhi M. Urine tenofovir-monitoring predicts HIV viremia in patients treated with high genetic-barrier regimens. AIDS. 2022 11 15; 36(14):2057-2062.
- Spinelli MA, Jones BLH, Gandhi M. COVID-19 Outcomes and Risk Factors Among People Living with HIV. Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2022 10; 19(5):425-432.
- Pathela P, Qasmieh S, Gandhi M, Rozen E, Okochi H, Goldstein H, Herold BC, Jamison K, Schillinger JA, Nash D. Brief Report: Use of Remnant Specimens to Assess Use of HIV PrEP Among Populations With Risk of HIV Infection: A Novel Approach. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2022 08 01; 90(4):382-387.
- Peluso MJ, Spinelli MA, Deveau TM, Forman CA, Munter SE, Mathur S, Tang AF, Lu S, Goldberg SA, Arreguin MI, Hoh R, Tai V, Chen JY, Martinez EO, Yee BC, Chenna A, Winslow JW, Petropoulos CJ, Sette A, Weiskopf D, Kumar N, Lynch KL, Hunt PW, Durstenfeld MS, Hsue PY, Kelly JD, Martin JN, Glidden DV, Gandhi M, Deeks SG, Rutishauser RL, Henrich TJ. Postacute sequelae and adaptive immune responses in people with HIV recovering from SARS-COV-2 infection. AIDS. 2022 10 01; 36(12):F7-F16.
- Nwogu JN, Ngene SO, Babalola CP, Olagunju A, Owen A, Khoo SH, Kotila OA, Berzins B, Okochi H, Tallerico R, Gandhi M, Taiwo B. Comparison of efavirenz levels in blood and hair with pharmacy refills as measures of adherence and predictors of viral suppression among people living with HIV in Nigeria. AIDS Res Ther. 2022 07 10; 19(1):35.
- Sharma A, Gandhi M, Sallabank G, Merrill L, Stephenson R. Study Evaluating Self-Collected Specimen Return for HIV, Bacterial STI, and Potential Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis Adherence Testing Among Sexual Minority Men in the United States. Am J Mens Health. 2022 Jul-Aug; 16(4):15579883221115591.
- Stewart J, Bukusi E, Sesay FA, Oware K, Donnell D, Soge OO, Celum C, Odoyo J, Kwena ZA, Scoville CW, Violette LR, Morrison S, Simoni J, McClelland RS, Barnabas R, Gandhi M, Baeten JM. Doxycycline post-exposure prophylaxis for prevention of sexually transmitted infections among Kenyan women using HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis: study protocol for an open-label randomized trial. Trials. 2022 Jun 16; 23(1):495.
- Sheira LA, Kwena ZA, Charlebois ED, Agot K, Ayieko B, Gandhi M, Bukusi EA, Thirumurthy H, Camlin CS. Testing a social network approach to promote HIV self-testing and linkage to care among fishermen at Lake Victoria: study protocol for the Owete cluster randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2022 Jun 06; 23(1):463.
- Imbert E, Hickey MD, Del Rosario JB, Conte M, Kerkhoff AD, Clemenzi-Allen A, Riley ED, Havlir DV, Gandhi M. Brief Report: Heterogeneous Preferences for Care Engagement Among People With HIV Experiencing Homelessness or Unstable Housing During the COVID-19 Pandemic. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2022 06 01; 90(2):140-145.