See also the Mentoring Program Event Archive for presentations on important topics for UCSF mentees, trainees, and early career investigators, including the UCSF research environment, grant writing, and life-work issues.
Templates, Manuals, and Tools
- Faculty Handbook for Success, Advancement and Promotion at UCSF
Includes guidelines on establishing mentoring relationships and specifies mentoring criteria for career advancement at UCSF.
- Gladstone Institutes Postdoctoral Fellows Program Mentoring Standards
J. David Gladstone Institutes
- Mentoring-IDP-for-Mentors-Mentees.pdf Sample Individual Development Plan. UCSF-Gladstone CFAR.
Christine Des Jarlais, Assistant Dean for Graduate Outreach and Postdoctoral Affairs, UCSF. 2004.Document
A high-impact reference letter to support a mentee's K23 Award application. Ruth Greenblatt, MD, Professor of Clinical Medicine and Epidemiology; Associate Director, UCSF-Gladstone CFAR.Document
An exemplar reference letter to support a mentee's application to the UCSF Masters Entry Program in Nursing. Ruth Greenblatt, MD, Professor of Clinical Medicine and Epidemiology; Associate Director, UCSF-Gladstone CFAR.
A synopsis of mentors' obligations, tips for writing letters of recommendations, etc. Includes pertinent links as well as a sample mentor-mentee agreement.
Postdoc mentoring recommendations.
Mentoring Program Background Documents
- Mentor Development Program (MDP)
Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI)
- Junior Faculty AIDS Researchers (JFAR)
UCSF AIDS Research Institute (ARI)
- UCSF Office of Postdoctoral Affairs
- Advisor, Teacher, Role Model, Friend: On Being a Mentor to Students in Science and Engineering
Committee on Science, Engineering, and Public Policy (COSEPUP), National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, Institute of Medicine. 1997.
- American Heart Association Mentoring Handbook
Provides career advice for both mentors and mentees in the clinical, basic, and population sciences. Second Edition. 2008.
- How To Get the Mentoring You Want
The Rackham School of Graduate Studies, University of Michigan. 2008.
- B. Adamson, J. Fuchs, C. Sopher, D. Flood, P. Johnson, B. Haynes, J. Kublin, and the NIAID HIV Vaccine Trials Network. A New Model for Catalyzing Translational Science: The Early Stage Investigator Mentored Research Scholar Program in HIV Vaccines. Clin and Transl Sci. 2014 Dec 30.
- Johnson MO, Gandhi M. A mentor training program improves mentoring competency for researchers working with early-career investigators from underrepresented backgrounds.Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2014 Oct 2.
- Sopher CJ1, Adamson BJ, Andrasik MP, Flood DM, Wakefield SF, Stoff DM, Cook RS, Kublin JG, Fuchs JD. Enhancing Diversity in the Public Health Research Workforce: The Research and Mentorship Program for Future HIV Vaccine Scientists. Am J Public Health. 2014 Aug 14:e1-e8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gandhi M, Fernandez A, Stoff DM, Narahari S, Blank M, Fuchs J, Evans CH, Kahn JS, Johnson MO. Development and Implementation of a Workshop to Enhance the Effectiveness of Mentors Working with Diverse Mentees in HIV Research. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2014 May 12.
- Kahn JS, Greenblatt RM. Mentoring early-career scientists for HIV research careers. Am J Public Health. Feb. 26, 2009.
- Feldman MD, Huang L, Guglielmo BJ, Jordan R, Kahn J, Creasman JM, Wiener-Kronish JP, Lee KA, Tehrani A, Yaffe K, Brown JS. Training the next generation of research mentors: The University of California, San Francisco, Clinical and Translational Science Institute Mentor Development Program. Clin Transl Sci., June 2, 2009.
- Kahn J, Des Jarlais CD, Dobkin L, Barrs SF, Greenblatt RM. Mentoring the next generation of HIV prevention researchers: a model mentoring program at the University of California San Francisco and Gladstone Institute of Immunology and Virology Center for AIDS research. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008 Mar 1;47 Suppl 1:S5-9.