Peter Hunt, MD
Peter Hunt is a Professor of Medicine in the Division of Experimental Medicine (DEM) at the University of California San Francisco. He also serves as Associate Chief for Research for the ZSFG-UCSF Department of Medicine, Co-Director of the UCSF-GIVI Center for AIDS Research (for basic and translational science), and as a member of the Leadership Committee of the UCSF AIDS Research Institute. He also recently completed terms as Interim Chief of the DEM and Chair of the ACTG Inflammation and End Organ Disease Transformative Science Group. His primary research focus is on the inflammatory consequences of HIV infection. His clinic-based translational research program seeks to understand the determinants of persistent immune activation both in the presence and the absence of antiretroviral therapy, and to assess the impact of immune activation on clinical outcomes. He collaborates extensively with a multi-disciplinary team of investigators to assess the impact of persistent immune activation despite viral suppression on mortality and chronic diseases associated with aging (i.e., cardiovascular disease) and conducts clinical trials of novel immune-based interventions designed to decrease immune activation. Dr. Hunt has also led a translational research program in Mbarara, Uganda, focused on the determinants of immune recovery during suppressive antiretroviral therapy in that setting. He also helped develop a large mucosal immunology program at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital focused on the impact of HIV on gut-associated lymphoid tissue and the determinants of microbial translocation in HIV infection. In 2016, he started a laboratory in the DEM, focused on the immunologic consequences of asymptomatic CMV replication during treated HIV infection as well as the adaptive immune defects that persist in this setting in an effort to develop targets for interventions to reduce morbidity and mortality.
Displaying 1 - 25 of 318
- Dalli J, Kitch D, O'Brien MP, Hunt PW, Funderburg N, Moisi D, Gupta A, Brown TT, Tien PC, Aberg JA, Shivakoti R. Pro-inflammatory and pro-resolving lipid mediators of inflammation in HIV: effect of aspirin intervention. EBioMedicine. 2023 Feb 13; 89:104468.
- Peluso MJ, Deveau TM, Munter SE, Ryder D, Buck A, Beck-Engeser G, Chan F, Lu S, Goldberg SA, Hoh R, Tai V, Torres L, Iyer NS, Deswal M, Ngo LH, Buitrago M, Rodriguez A, Chen JY, Yee BC, Chenna A, Winslow JW, Petropoulos CJ, Deitchman AN, Hellmuth J, Spinelli MA, Durstenfeld MS, Hsue PY, Kelly JD, Martin JN, Deeks SG, Hunt PW, Henrich TJ. Chronic viral coinfections differentially affect the likelihood of developing long COVID. J Clin Invest. 2023 Feb 01; 133(3).
- Ogongo P, Tran A, Marzan F, Gingrich D, Krone M, Aweeka F, Lindestam Arlehamn CS, Martin JN, Deeks SG, Hunt PW, Ernst JD. M. tuberculosis antigen-responsive IL17 + CD4 T cells are disproportionately spared in ART-suppressed HIV. bioRxiv. 2023 Jan 07.
- Masenga SK, C?t? HCF, Hunt PW. Subclinical cardiac disease in children with perinatally acquired HIV is associated with inflammation. AIDS. 2022 Dec 01; 36(15):2213-2214.
- Shapiro AE, Bender Ignacio RA, Whitney BM, Delaney JA, Nance RM, Bamford L, Wooten D, Keruly JC, Burkholder G, Napravnik S, Mayer KH, Webel AR, Kim HN, Van Rompaey SE, Christopoulos K, Jacobson J, Karris M, Smith D, Johnson MO, Willig A, Eron JJ, Hunt P, Moore RD, Saag MS, Mathews WC, Crane HM, Cachay ER, Kitahata MM, CFAR Network of Integrated Clinical Systems. Factors Associated With Severity of COVID-19 Disease in a Multicenter Cohort of People With HIV in the United States, March-December 2020. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2022 08 01; 90(4):369-376.
- Peluso MJ, Deveau TM, Munter SE, Ryder D, Buck A, Beck-Engeser G, Chan F, Lu S, Goldberg SA, Hoh R, Tai V, Torres L, Iyer NS, Deswal M, Ngo LH, Buitrago M, Rodriguez A, Chen JY, Yee BC, Chenna A, Winslow JW, Petropoulos CJ, Deitchman AN, Hellmuth J, Spinelli MA, Durstenfeld MS, Hsue PY, Kelly JD, Martin JN, Deeks SG, Hunt PW, Henrich TJ. Impact of Pre-Existing Chronic Viral Infection and Reactivation on the Development of Long COVID. medRxiv. 2022 Jul 22.
- Peluso MJ, Spinelli MA, Deveau TM, Forman CA, Munter SE, Mathur S, Tang AF, Lu S, Goldberg SA, Arreguin MI, Hoh R, Tai V, Chen JY, Martinez EO, Yee BC, Chenna A, Winslow JW, Petropoulos CJ, Sette A, Weiskopf D, Kumar N, Lynch KL, Hunt PW, Durstenfeld MS, Hsue PY, Kelly JD, Martin JN, Glidden DV, Gandhi M, Deeks SG, Rutishauser RL, Henrich TJ. Postacute sequelae and adaptive immune responses in people with HIV recovering from SARS-COV-2 infection. AIDS. 2022 10 01; 36(12):F7-F16.
- Riley ED, Kizer JR, Tien PC, Vittinghoff E, Lynch KL, Wu AHB, Coffin PO, Beck-Engeser G, Braun C, Hunt PW. Multiple substance use, inflammation and cardiac stretch in women living with HIV. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2022 09 01; 238:109564.
- Altinbas A, Holmes JA, Salloum S, Lidofsky A, Alatrakchi N, Somsouk M, Hunt P, Deeks S, Chew KW, Lauer G, Kruger A, Lin W, Chung RT. LOXL-2 and TNC-C are markers of liver fibrogenesis in HCV/HIV-, HIV- and HCV-infected patients. Biomark Med. 2022 08; 16(11):839-846.
- Umviligihozo G, Mann JK, Jin SW, Mwimanzi FM, Hsieh HA, Sudderuddin H, Lee GQ, Byakwaga H, Muzoora C, Hunt PW, Martin JN, Haberer JE, Karita E, Allen S, Hunter E, Brumme ZL, Brockman MA. Attenuated HIV-1 Nef But Not Vpu Function in a Cohort of Rwandan Long-Term Survivors. Front Virol. 2022 Jun; 2.
- Peluso MJ, Sans HM, Forman CA, Nylander AN, Ho HE, Lu S, Goldberg SA, Hoh R, Tai V, Munter SE, Chenna A, Yee BC, Winslow JW, Petropoulos CJ, Martin JN, Kelly JD, Durstenfeld MS, Hsue PY, Hunt PW, Greene M, Chow FC, Hellmuth J, Henrich TJ, Glidden DV, Deeks SG. Plasma Markers of Neurologic Injury and Inflammation in People With Self-Reported Neurologic Postacute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 Infection. Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2022 09; 9(5).
- Serrano-Villar S, Wu K, Hunt PW, Lok JJ, Ron R, Sainz T, Moreno S, Deeks SG, Bosch RJ. Predictive value of CD8+ T cell and CD4/CD8 ratio at two years of successful ART in the risk of AIDS and non-AIDS events. EBioMedicine. 2022 Jun; 80:104072.
- McCarthy EE, Odorizzi PM, Lutz E, Smullin CP, Tenvooren I, Stone M, Simmons G, Hunt PW, Feeney ME, Norris PJ, Busch MP, Spitzer MH, Rutishauser RL. A cytotoxic-skewed immune set point predicts low neutralizing antibody levels after Zika virus infection. Cell Rep. 2022 05 17; 39(7):110815.
- Bender Ignacio RA, Shapiro AE, Nance RM, Whitney BM, Delaney JAC, Bamford L, Wooten D, Karris MY, Mathews WC, Kim HN, Keruly J, Burkholder G, Napravnik S, Mayer KH, Jacobson J, Saag M, Moore RD, Eron JJ, Willig AL, Christopoulos KA, Martin J, Hunt PW, Crane HM, Kitahata MM, Cachay ER, Centers for AIDS Research Network of Integrated Clinical Systems (CNICS). Racial and ethnic disparities in coronavirus disease 2019 disease incidence independent of comorbidities, among people with HIV in the United States. AIDS. 2022 07 01; 36(8):1095-1103.
- Marques de Menezes EG, Deng X, Liu J, Bowler SA, Shikuma CM, Stone M, Hunt PW, Ndhlovu LC, Norris PJ. Plasma CD16+ Extracellular Vesicles Associate with Carotid Artery Intima-Media Thickness in HIV+ Adults on Combination Antiretroviral Therapy. mBio. 2022 06 28; 13(3):e0300521.
- Duette G, Hiener B, Morgan H, Mazur FG, Mathivanan V, Horsburgh BA, Fisher K, Tong O, Lee E, Ahn H, Shaik A, Fromentin R, Hoh R, Bacchus-Souffan C, Nasr N, Cunningham AL, Hunt PW, Chomont N, Turville SG, Deeks SG, Kelleher AD, Schlub TE, Palmer S. The HIV-1 proviral landscape reveals that Nef contributes to HIV-1 persistence in effector memory CD4+ T cells. J Clin Invest. 2022 04 01; 132(7).
- Luu B, Ruderman S, Nance R, Delaney JAC, Ma J, Hahn A, Heckbert SR, Budoff MJ, Crothers K, Mathews WC, Christopolous K, Hunt PW, Eron J, Moore R, Keruly J, Lober WB, Burkholder GA, Willig A, Chander G, McCaul ME, Cropsey K, O'Cleirigh C, Peter I, Feinstein M, Tsui JI, Lindstroem S, Saag M, Kitahata MM, Crane HM, Drumright LN, Whitney BM. Tobacco smoking and binge alcohol use are associated with incident venous thromboembolism in an HIV cohort. HIV Med. 2022 11; 23(10):1051-1060.
- Pierre F, Forman LS, Winter M, Cheng D, Ngabirano C, Emenyonu N, Hunt PW, Huang Y, Muyindike W, Samet J, Hahn JA, So-Armah K. Alcohol Consumption and Tryptophan Metabolism Among People with HIV Prior to Antiretroviral Therapy Initiation: The Uganda ARCH Cohort Study. Alcohol Alcohol. 2021 May 24.
- Swainson LA, Sharma AA, Ghneim K, Ribeiro SP, Wilkinson P, Dunham RM, Albright RG, Wong S, Estes JD, Piatak M, Deeks SG, Hunt PW, Sekaly RP, McCune JM. IFN-α blockade during ART-treated SIV infection lowers tissue vDNA, rescues immune function, and improves overall health. JCI Insight. 2022 03 08; 7(5).
- Jabs DA, Van Natta ML, Schneider MF, Pak JW, Trang G, Jones NG, Milush J, Hunt PW. Association of elevated plasma inflammatory biomarker levels with age-related macular degeneration but not cataract in persons with AIDS. AIDS. 2022 02 01; 36(2):177-184.
- Marconi VC, Moser C, Gavegnano C, Deeks SG, Lederman MM, Overton ET, Tsibris A, Hunt PW, Kantor A, Sekaly RP, Tressler R, Flexner C, Hurwitz SJ, Moisi D, Clagett B, Hardin WR, Del Rio C, Schinazi RF, Lennox JJ. Randomized Trial of Ruxolitinib in Antiretroviral-Treated Adults with HIV. Clin Infect Dis. 2021 Mar 06.
- Lederman MM, Flier JS, Hale P, Haase AT, Powderly W, Reiss P, Silvestri G, Sekaly RP, Paiardini M, Weissman D, Kuritzkes DR, Calabrese LH, Agre P, Reyes-Teran G, Landay AL, Lewin S, Richman DD, Volberding P, Hunt PW, Schechter M. Is France Once Again Looking for a Scapegoat? Pathog Immun. 2021; 6(2):149-152.
- Bender Ignacio RA, Shapiro AE, Nance RM, Whitney BM, Delaney J, Bamford L, Wooten D, Karris M, Mathews WC, Kim HN, Van Rompaey SE, Keruly JC, Burkholder G, Napravnik S, Mayer KH, Jacobson J, Saag MS, Moore RD, Eron JJ, Willig AL, Christopoulos KA, Martin J, Hunt PW, Crane HM, Kitahata MM, Cachay E. Racial and ethnic disparities in COVID-19 disease incidence independent of comorbidities, among people with HIV in the US. medRxiv. 2021 Dec 08.
- Peluso MJ, Lu S, Tang AF, Durstenfeld MS, Ho HE, Goldberg SA, Forman CA, Munter SE, Hoh R, Tai V, Chenna A, Yee BC, Winslow JW, Petropoulos CJ, Greenhouse B, Hunt PW, Hsue PY, Martin JN, Daniel Kelly J, Glidden DV, Deeks SG, Henrich TJ. Markers of Immune Activation and Inflammation in Individuals With Postacute Sequelae of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Infection. J Infect Dis. 2021 12 01; 224(11):1839-1848.
- Huang W, Czuba LC, Manuzak JA, Martin JN, Hunt PW, Klatt NR, Isoherranen N. Objective Identification of Cannabis Use Levels in Clinical Populations Is Critical for Detecting Pharmacological Outcomes. Cannabis Cannabinoid Res. 2022 Dec; 7(6):852-864.