User Profile Photo
Laurence Huang, MD
User Profile Name
Professor, School of Medicine
CTSI Profile Title
User Profile Email
I am a pulmonary and critical care medicine specialist with a research focus on pulmonary diseases affecting persons with HIV with a global perspective. I am a clinical-translational researcher with clinical cohorts in San Francisco, CA and in Kampala, Uganda. Currently, I am PI/Co-PI on these main studies: I AM OLD and I AM OLD-DA (renewal): The Inflammation, Aging, Microbes and Obstructive Lung Disease (I AM OLD) Study and The Inflammation, Aging, Microbes, Obstructive Lung Disease, and Diffusion Abnormalities (I AM OLD-DA) Study is a multi-cohort study with clinical sites in San Francisco and Kampala, Uganda, whose goal is to examine potential mechanisms for development of obstructive lung disease and progression of airflow obstruction and diffusion abnormalities in a multi-national cohort of HIV-infected subjects with opportunistic pneumonia. I AM GOLD: The Integrated Analysis of Microbial and Genomic data in Obstructive Lung Disease (I AM GOLD) Study is a multi-cohort study with clinical sites in San Francisco and Kampala, Uganda, whose goal is to examine airway microbial communities (the lung microbiome) and inflammatory gene expression markers at the time of acute infection and during chronic stable disease that are associated with HIV-associated COPD and lung function decline in HIV and to perform integrative analyses of the airway microbiome, microbial and human transcriptome, metabolome and lung radiographic changes in HIV-associated COPD. Recent, former studies: IHOP: The International HIV-associated Opportunistic Pneumonias (IHOP) Study is a multi-national cohort study with clinical sites in San Francisco and Kampala, Uganda, whose goal is to improve our understanding of the epidemiology, etiology, and outcome of pneumonias in persons with HIV infection. IHOP was part of the Lung HIV Study, a collaborative multi-R01 consortium established by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) to examine a diverse range of infectious and non-infectious pulmonary diseases in HIV-infected persons. Lung MicroCHIP: The Lung Microbiome in Cohorts of HIV-Infected Persons (Lung MicroChip) Study is a multi-cohort study with clinical sites in San Francisco and Kampala, Uganda, whose goal is to examine the composition and function of the lung microbiome in persons with HIV. Lung MicroChip was part of the Lung HIV Microbiome Project, a collaborative multi-U01 consortium established by the NHLBI to study the lung microbiome in HIV infection. I am also involved in training the next generation of clinical and translational researchers at both fellowship and junior faculty levels, including through the following NIH-funded training programs: Multidisciplinary Training Program in Lung Disease (NIH T32 HL007185): This is a continuation of the UCSF Multidisciplinary Training Program in Lung Disease, which provides training in basic and clinical sciences important to the respiratory system. The program draws on the basic and clinical research skills of the broad group of faculty at UCSF addressing questions directly relevant to lung biology and disease. The grant is to accommodate a total of 13 postdoctoral trainees, including both MDs and PhDs. The main program is an actual research experience under the close supervision of a Preceptor and a review committee selected on the basis of the experimental approaches of the trainee. These approaches include disciplines applicable at the molecular, cellular, tissue, organ, whole animal, clinical, or population levels. CHIC (NIH K12 HL143961): The UCSF Career Development Program in Cardiopulmonary, Hematologic, and Immunologic Comorbidities of HIV (CHIC) is a K12 training grant whose goals are: (1) To recruit MD, MD/PhD and PhD scholars dedicated to independent research careers conducting clinical and translational research in HIV-related heart, lung, and blood research; (2) To design, implement, and monitor individualized and tailored research training and career development of these scholars using an interdisciplinary, team-science, and team-mentoring approach that combines didactic training in research methods with supervised research under the mentorship of an experienced faculty mentor and mentoring team; (3) To produce the ‘next generation’ of researchers in HIV-associated heart, lung and blood diseases.
CTSI Profile Bio
Displaying 1 - 25 of 226
- Wang RJ, Nouraie M, Kunisaki KM, Huang L, Tien PC, Anastos K, Bhandari N, Bhatt SP, Bolivar H, Cribbs SK, Foronjy R, Gange SJ, Lazarous D, Morris A, Drummond MB. Lung Function in Women with and without HIV. Clin Infect Dis. 2022 May 23.
- Drummond MB, Edmonds A, Ramirez C, Stosor V, Barjaktarevic IZ, Morris A, McCormack MC, Bhatt SP, Alcaide ML, Cribbs SK, D'Souza G, Bhandari N, Kunisaki KM, Huang L, Kassaye SG, Foronjy R, Sharma A, Westreich DJ, Adimora AA. Association Between HIV and Prevalence and Manifestations of Asthma: Analysis of the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study and Women's Interagency HIV Study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2022 Dec 15; 91(5):419-428.
- Konstantinidis I, Qin S, Fitzpatrick M, Kessinger C, Gentry H, McMahon D, Weinman RD, Tien P, Huang L, McCormack M, Barjaktarevic I, Reddy D, Foronjy R, Lazarous D, Cohen MH, McKay H, Adimora AA, Moran C, Fischl MA, Dionne-Odom J, Stosor V, Drummond MB, Cribbs SK, Kunisaki K, Rinaldo C, Morris A, Nouraie SM. Pulmonary Function Trajectories in People with HIV: Analysis of the Pittsburgh HIV Lung Cohort. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2022 Dec; 19(12):2013-2020.
- Byanyima P, Kaswabuli S, Musisi E, Nabakiibi C, Zawedde J, Sanyu I, Sessolo A, Andama A, Worodria W, Huang L, Davis JL. Feasibility and Sensitivity of Saliva GeneXpert MTB/RIF Ultra for Tuberculosis Diagnosis in Adults in Uganda. Microbiol Spectr. 2022 Oct 26; 10(5):e0086022.
- Kaswabuli S, Musisi E, Byanyima P, Sessolo A, Sanyu I, Zawedde J, Worodria W, Huang L, Okeng A, Bwanga F. Accuracy of GenoQuick MTB test in detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in sputum from TB presumptive patients in Uganda. SAGE Open Med. 2022; 10:20503121221116861.
- Cyktor J, Qin S, Staines B, Nouraie M, Fitzpatrick M, Kessinger C, DeSensi R, Huang L, Rinaldo CR, Kingsley L, Tien PC, Mellors JW, Morris A. Associations of HIV persistence, cigarette smoking, inflammation, and pulmonary dysfunction in people with HIV on antiretroviral therapy. Medicine (Baltimore). 2022 Jul 08; 101(27):e29264.
- Sellers SA, Edmonds A, Ramirez C, Cribbs SK, Ofotokun I, Huang L, Morris A, Mccormack MC, Kunisaki KM, D'souza G, Rivera MP, Drummond MB, Adimora AA. Optimal Lung Cancer Screening Criteria Among Persons Living With HIV. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2022 06 01; 90(2):184-192.
- Spottiswoode N, Bloomstein JD, Caldera S, Sessolo A, McCauley K, Byanyima P, Zawedde J, Kalantar K, Kaswabuli S, Rutishauser RL, Lieng MK, Davis JL, Moore J, Jan A, Iwai S, Shenoy M, Sanyu I, DeRisi JL, Lynch SV, Worodria W, Huang L, Langelier CR. Pneumonia surveillance with culture-independent metatranscriptomics in HIV-positive adults in Uganda: a cross-sectional study. Lancet Microbe. 2022 05; 3(5):e357-e365.
- Li W, Syed F, Yu R, Yang J, Xia Y, Relich RF, Russell PM, Zhang S, Khalili M, Huang L, Kacena MA, Zheng X, Yu Q. Soluble Immune Checkpoints Are Dysregulated in COVID-19 and Heavy Alcohol Users With HIV Infection. Front Immunol. 2022; 13:833310.
- Musisi E, Sessolo A, Kaswabuli S, Zawedde J, Byanyima P, Kasinga S, Sanyu I, Uwimaana E, Walimbwa S, Olore J, Ssengooba W, Sekaggya C, Joloba ML, Worodria W, Huang L, Gillespie SH, Sloan DJ, Sabiiti W. High Mycobacterium tuberculosis Bacillary Loads Detected by Tuberculosis Molecular Bacterial Load Assay in Patient Stool: a Potential Alternative for Nonsputum Diagnosis and Treatment Response Monitoring of Tuberculosis. Microbiol Spectr. 2022 02 23; 10(1):e0210021.
- Akgün KM, Krishnan S, Butt AA, Gibert CL, Graber CJ, Huang L, Pisani MA, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Hoo GWS, Justice AC, Crothers K, Tate JP. CD4+ cell count and outcomes among HIV-infected compared with uninfected medical ICU survivors in a national cohort. AIDS. 2021 11 15; 35(14):2355-2365.
- Zifodya JS, Triplette M, Shahrir S, Attia EF, Akgun KM, Soo Hoo GW, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Wongtrakool C, Huang L, Crothers K. A cross-sectional analysis of diagnosis and management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in people living with HIV: Opportunities for improvement. Medicine (Baltimore). 2021 Sep 17; 100(37):e27124.
- Musisi E, Dide-Agossou C, Al Mubarak R, Rossmassler K, Ssesolo AW, Kaswabuli S, Byanyima P, Sanyu I, Zawedde J, Worodria W, Voskuil MI, Savic RM, Nahid P, Davis JL, Huang L, Moore CM, Walter ND. Reproducibility of the Ribosomal RNA Synthesis Ratio in Sputum and Association with Markers of Mycobacterium tuberculosis Burden. Microbiol Spectr. 2021 10 31; 9(2):e0048121.
- Singhvi DG, Nouraie M, Kessinger C, McMahon DK, Weinman R, Crothers K, Huang L, Bon J, Morris A, Merlin J. Brief Report: Association Between Pain, Pulmonary Function, and Respiratory Symptoms in People With HIV. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2021 Aug 15; 87(5):1161-1166.
- Jan AK, Moore JV, Wang RJ, Mcging M, Farr CK, Moisi D, Hartman-Filson M, Kerruish R, Jeon D, Lewis E, Crothers K, Lederman MM, Hunt PW, Huang L. Markers of inflammation and immune activation are associated with lung function in a multi-center cohort of persons with HIV. AIDS. 2021 06 01; 35(7):1031-1040.
- Walter ND, Born SEM, Robertson GT, Reichlen M, Dide-Agossou C, Ektnitphong VA, Rossmassler K, Ramey ME, Bauman AA, Ozols V, Bearrows SC, Schoolnik G, Dolganov G, Garcia B, Musisi E, Worodria W, Huang L, Davis JL, Nguyen NV, Nguyen HV, Nguyen ATV, Phan H, Wilusz C, Podell BK, Sanoussi ND, de Jong BC, Merle CS, Affolabi D, McIlleron H, Garcia-Cremades M, Maidji E, Eshun-Wilson F, Aguilar-Rodriguez B, Karthikeyan D, Mdluli K, Bansbach C, Lenaerts AJ, Savic RM, Nahid P, Vásquez JJ, Voskuil MI. Mycobacterium tuberculosis precursor rRNA as a measure of treatment-shortening activity of drugs and regimens. Nat Commun. 2021 05 18; 12(1):2899.
- Kuniholm MH, Bramah-Lawani M, Fitzpatrick M, Nouraie M, Qin S, Huang L, Vallejo AN, Landay AL, Morris A. Association of Monocyte Migration Marker CD11b With Pulmonary Function in People Living With HIV. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2021 03 01; 86(3):344-352.
- Meyer AJ, Ochom E, Turimumahoro P, Byanyima P, Sanyu I, Lalitha R, Kaswabuli S, Andama A, Walter ND, Katamba A, Cattamanchi A, Worodria W, Huang L, Yoon C, Davis JL. C-Reactive Protein Testing for Active Tuberculosis among Inpatients without HIV in Uganda: a Diagnostic Accuracy Study. J Clin Microbiol. 2020 12 17; 59(1).
- Byanova K, Kunisaki KM, Vasquez J, Huang L. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in HIV. Expert Rev Respir Med. 2021 Jan; 15(1):71-87.
- Zifodya JS, Duncan MS, So-Armah KA, Attia EF, Akgün KM, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Marconi VC, Budoff MJ, Bedimo RJ, Alcorn CW, Soo Hoo GW, Butt AA, Kim JW, Sico JJ, Tindle HA, Huang L, Tate JP, Justice AC, Freiberg MS, Crothers K. Community-Acquired Pneumonia and Risk of Cardiovascular Events in People Living With HIV. J Am Heart Assoc. 2020 12; 9(23):e017645.
- Wenger DS, Triplette M, Shahrir S, Akgun KM, Wongtrakool C, Brown ST, Kim JW, Soo Hoo GW, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Huang L, Feemster LC, Zifodya J, Crothers K. Associations of marijuana with markers of chronic lung disease in people living with HIV. HIV Med. 2021 Feb; 22(2):92-101.
- Bhadriraju S, Fadrosh DW, Shenoy MK, Lin DL, Lynch KV, McCauley K, Ferrand RA, Majonga ED, McHugh G, Huang L, Lynch SV, Metcalfe JZ. Distinct lung microbiota associate with HIV-associated chronic lung disease in children. Sci Rep. 2020 09 30; 10(1):16186.
- Wang RJ, Katha G, Phiri M, Delbridge P, Gordon SB, Calfee CS, Huang L, Rylance J. Sonographic B-Lines, Fluid Resuscitation, and Hypoxemia in Malawian Patients with Suspected Sepsis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2020 08 01; 202(3):463-466.
- Rodriguez-Barradas MC, McGinnis KA, Akgün K, Tate JP, Brown ST, Butt AA, Fine M, Goetz MB, Graber CJ, Huang L, Rimland D, Justice A, Crothers K. Validation for using electronic health records to identify community acquired pneumonia hospitalization among people with and without HIV. Pneumonia (Nathan). 2020; 12:6.
- Almodovar S, Wade BE, Porter KM, Smith JM, Lopez-Astacio RA, Bijli K, Kang BY, Cribbs SK, Guidot DM, Molehin D, McNair BK, Pumarejo-Gomez L, Perez Hernandez J, Salazar EA, Martinez EG, Huang L, Kessing CF, Suarez-Martinez EB, Pruitt K, Hsue PY, Tyor WR, Flores SC, Sutliff RL. HIV X4 Variants Increase Arachidonate 5-Lipoxygenase in the Pulmonary Microenvironment and are associated with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Sci Rep. 2020 07 16; 10(1):11696.