User Profile Photo
Carol Camlin, PhD, MPH
User Profile Name
Professor, School of Medicine
User Profile Title
User Profile Email
I am a social demographer and behavioral scientist in the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology & Reproductive Sciences, with a secondary appointment in the Department of Medicine, Center for AIDS Prevention Studies. My research crosses the disciplines of population studies, sociology and behavioral sciences, and has focused on examining the impacts of human mobility on HIV prevention and care outcomes, and particularly the contribution of women’s mobility to HIV epidemics in southern and eastern Africa. I develop interventions to address the unmet needs of mobile populations, including the study "Self-Test Strategies and Linkage Incentives to Improve ART and PrEP Uptake in Men", which tests a social network intervention to improve the HIV prevention and care outcomes in a population of highly mobile men in a high priority setting (fishermen in Kenya). I also lead qualitative and mixed methods studies within several clinical trials and implementation studies in health systems and communities in sub-Saharan Africa, applying behavioral and social theory to the analysis of empirical data to ascertain implementation pathways. I have used qualitative methods to design and adapt interventions, and to better understand structural and cultural aspects of health services utilization.
CTSI Profile Bio
Displaying 1 - 25 of 91
- Epstein A, Harris OO, Benmarhnia T, Camlin CS, Weiser SD. Do precipitation anomalies influence short-term mobility in sub-saharan Africa? An observational study from 23 countries. BMC Public Health. 2023 Feb 22; 23(1):377.
- Hahn JA, Fatch R, Emenyonu NI, Sanyu N, Katusiime A, Levine B, John Boscardin W, Chander G, Hutton H, Camlin CS, Woolf-King SE, Muyindike WR. Effect of two counseling interventions on self-reported alcohol consumption, alcohol biomarker phosphatidylethanol (PEth), and viral suppression among persons living with HIV (PWH) with unhealthy alcohol use in Uganda: A randomized controlled trial. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2023 Jan 21; 244:109783.
- Odokonyero RF, Ocan M, Kinengyere AA, Nakasujja N, Muhwezi WW, Camlin CS, Hahn JA. Prevalence of, and factors associated with, alcohol use disorder among young adults (aged 15-24 years) living with HIV/AIDS in low-income and middle-income countries: protocol for a systematic review. BMJ Open. 2023 Jan 04; 13(1):e068108.
- Egbe TI, Omollo OD, Wesonga JO, Bair EF, Chakrabarti A, Putt ME, Celum CL, Camlin CS, Napierala S, Agot K, Thirumurthy H. A savings intervention to reduce men's engagement in HIV risk behaviors: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2022 Dec 16; 23(1):1018.
- Clouse K, Noholoza S, Ngcobo N, Madwayi S, Mrubata M, Camlin CS, Myer L, Phillips TK. Cohort profile: CareConekta: a pilot study of a smartphone application to improve engagement in postpartum HIV care in South Africa. BMJ Open. 2022 Nov 22; 12(11):e064946.
- Gutin SA, Neilands TB, Charlebois ED, Getahun M, Okiring J, Akullian A, Maeri I, Eyul P, Ssali S, Cohen CR, Kamya MR, Bukusi EA, Camlin CS. Mobility is Associated with Higher-risk Sexual Partnerships Among Both Men and Women in Co-resident Couples in Rural Kenya and Uganda: A Longitudinal Cohort Study. AIDS Behav. 2022 Nov 01.
- Maeri I, Eyul P, Getahun M, Hatchett K, Owino L, Akatukwasa C, Itiakorit H, Gutin SA, Johnson-Peretz J, Ssali S, Cohen CR, Bukusi EA, Kamya MR, Charlebois ED, Camlin CS. Nothing about us without us: Community-based participatory research to improve HIV care for mobile patients in Kenya and Uganda. Soc Sci Med. 2023 Feb; 318:115471.
- Camlin CS, Getahun M, Koss CA, Owino L, Akatukwasa C, Itiakorit H, Onyango A, Bakanoma R, Atwine F, Maeri I, Ayieko J, Atukunda M, Owaraganise A, Mwangwa F, Sang N, Kabami J, Kaplan RL, Chamie G, Petersen ML, Cohen CR, Bukusi EA, Kamya MR, Havlir DV, Charlebois ED. Providers' Attitudes and Experiences with Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis Implementation in a Population-Based Study in Kenya and Uganda. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2022 Oct; 36(10):396-404.
- Comfort AB, El Ayadi AM, Camlin CS, Tsai AC, Nalubwama H, Byamugisha J, Walker DM, Moody J, Roberts T, Senoga U, Krezanoski PJ, Harper CC. The role of informational support from women's social networks on antenatal care initiation: qualitative evidence from pregnant women in Uganda. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2022 Sep 16; 22(1):708.
- Lee JK, Gutin SA, Getahun M, Okiring J, Neilands TB, Akullian A, Ssali S, Cohen CR, Maeri I, Eyul P, Kamya MR, Bukusi EA, Charlebois ED, Camlin CS. Condom, modern contraceptive, and dual method use are associated with HIV status and relationship concurrency in a context of high mobility: A cross-sectional study of women of reproductive age in rural Kenya and Uganda, 2016. Contraception. 2022 Sep 14.
- Kakande E, Christian C, Balzer LB, Owaraganise A, Nugent JR, DiIeso W, Rast D, Kabami J, Johnson Peretz J, Camlin CS, Shade SB, Geng EH, Kwarisiima D, Kamya MR, Havlir DV, Chamie G. A mid-level health manager intervention to promote uptake of isoniazid preventive therapy among people with HIV in Uganda: a cluster randomised trial. Lancet HIV. 2022 09; 9(9):e607-e616.
- Johnson-Peretz J, Lebu S, Akatukwasa C, Getahun M, Ruel T, Lee J, Ayieko J, Mwangwa F, Owino L, Onyango A, Maeri I, Atwine F, Charlebois ED, Bukusi EA, Kamya MR, Havlir DV, Camlin CS. "I was still very young": agency, stigma and HIV care strategies at school, baseline results of a qualitative study among youth in rural Kenya and Uganda. J Int AIDS Soc. 2022 07; 25 Suppl 1:e25919.
- Camlin CS, Marson K, Ndyabakira A, Getahun M, Emperador D, Byamukama A, Kwarisiima D, Thirumurthy H, Chamie G. Understanding the role of incentives for achieving and sustaining viral suppression: A qualitative sub-study of a financial incentives trial in Uganda. PLoS One. 2022; 17(6):e0270180.
- Sheira LA, Kwena ZA, Charlebois ED, Agot K, Ayieko B, Gandhi M, Bukusi EA, Thirumurthy H, Camlin CS. Testing a social network approach to promote HIV self-testing and linkage to care among fishermen at Lake Victoria: study protocol for the Owete cluster randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2022 Jun 06; 23(1):463.
- Alexander SM, Agaba A, Campbell JI, Nambogo N, Camlin CS, Johnson M, Dorsey G, Olson KR, Bangsberg DR, Carroll RW, Santorino D, Krezanoski PJ. A qualitative study of the acceptability of remote electronic bednet use monitoring in Uganda. BMC Public Health. 2022 05 19; 22(1):1010.
- Okiring J, Getahun M, Gutin SA, Lebu S, Lee J, Maeri I, Eyul P, Bukusi EA, Cohen CR, Neilands TB, Ssali S, Charlebois ED, Camlin CS. Sexual partnership concurrency and age disparities associated with sexually transmitted infection and risk behavior in rural communities in Kenya and Uganda. Int J Infect Dis. 2022 Jul; 120:158-167.
- Murnane PM, Gandhi M, Bacchetti P, Getahun M, Gutin SA, Okochi H, Maeri I, Eyul P, Omoding D, Okiring J, Tallerico R, Louie A, Akullian A, Kamya MR, Bukusi EA, Charlebois ED, Camlin CS. Distinct forms of migration and mobility are differentially associated with HIV treatment adherence. AIDS. 2022 06 01; 36(7):1021-1030.
- Sarah Iguna, Monica Getahun, Jayne Lewis-Kulzer, Gladys Odhiambo, Fridah Adhiambo, Lina Montoya, Maya L. Petersen, Elizabeth Bukusi, Thomas Odeny, Elvin Geng, Carol S. Camlin. Attitudes towards and experiences with economic incentives for engagement in HIV care and treatment: Qualitative insights from a randomized trial in Kenya. PLOS Global Public Health. 2022 Feb 23; 2(2):e0000204.
- Hickey MD, Ayieko J, Owaraganise A, Sim N, Balzer LB, Kabami J, Atukunda M, Opel FJ, Wafula E, Nyabuti M, Brown L, Chamie G, Jain V, Peng J, Kwarisiima D, Camlin CS, Charlebois ED, Cohen CR, Bukusi EA, Kamya MR, Petersen ML, Havlir DV. Effect of a patient-centered hypertension delivery strategy on all-cause mortality: Secondary analysis of SEARCH, a community-randomized trial in rural Kenya and Uganda. PLoS Med. 2021 Sep; 18(9):e1003803.
- Nutor JJ, Agbadi P, Hoffmann TJ, Anguyo G, Camlin CS. Examining the relationship between interpersonal support and retention in HIV care among HIV+ nursing mothers in Uganda. BMC Res Notes. 2021 Jun 03; 14(1):224.
- Lodi S, Emenyonu NI, Marson K, Kwarisiima D, Fatch R, McDonell MG, Cheng DM, Thirumurthy H, Gandhi M, Camlin CS, Muyindike WR, Hahn JA, Chamie G. The Drinkers' Intervention to Prevent Tuberculosis (DIPT) trial among heavy drinkers living with HIV in Uganda: study protocol of a 2×2 factorial trial. Trials. 2021 May 20; 22(1):355.
- Akatukwasa C, Getahun M, El Ayadi AM, Namanya J, Maeri I, Itiakorit H, Owino L, Sanyu N, Kabami J, Ssemmondo E, Sang N, Kwarisiima D, Petersen ML, Charlebois ED, Chamie G, Clark TD, Cohen CR, Kamya MR, Bukusi EA, Havlir DV, Camlin CS. Dimensions of HIV-related stigma in rural communities in Kenya and Uganda at the start of a large HIV 'test and treat' trial. PLoS One. 2021; 16(5):e0249462.
- Chamie G, Kwarisiima D, Ndyabakira A, Marson K, Camlin CS, Havlir DV, Kamya MR, Thirumurthy H. Financial incentives and deposit contracts to promote HIV retesting in Uganda: A randomized trial. PLoS Med. 2021 05; 18(5):e1003630.
- Leddy AM, Hahn JA, Getahun M, Emenyonu NI, Woolf-King SE, Sanyu N, Katusiime A, Fatch R, Chander G, Hutton HE, Muyindike WR, Camlin CS. Cultural Adaptation of an Intervention to Reduce Hazardous Alcohol Use Among People Living with HIV in Southwestern Uganda. AIDS Behav. 2021 Feb 15.
- Koss CA, Havlir DV, Ayieko J, Kwarisiima D, Kabami J, Chamie G, Atukunda M, Mwinike Y, Mwangwa F, Owaraganise A, Peng J, Olilo W, Snyman K, Awuonda B, Clark TD, Black D, Nugent J, Brown LB, Marquez C, Okochi H, Zhang K, Camlin CS, Jain V, Gandhi M, Cohen CR, Bukusi EA, Charlebois ED, Petersen ML, Kamya MR, Balzer LB. HIV incidence after pre-exposure prophylaxis initiation among women and men at elevated HIV risk: A population-based study in rural Kenya and Uganda. PLoS Med. 2021 02; 18(2):e1003492.