CTSI Profile Photo
Roland Krug, PhD
User Profile Name
Associate Professor, School of Medicine
CTSI Profile Title
User Profile Email
Roland Krug, PhD, has been at UCSF since 2003. Dr. Krug’s research interests include applying novel Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Spectroscopy tools to advance diagnosis of several musculoskeletal conditions with the ultimate goal to improve the quality of life of patients. He has a strong focus on identifying mechanisms that are responsible for low back pain as well as using novel tools such as MR guided high intensity focused ultrasound to treat this condition. As a principal investigator, Dr. Krug has received substantial support from NIH including two R01, and a UH2/UH3. He is also a director of an U19 grant from the HEAL initiative to fight opioid addiction with a volume of 30 Million USD. Dr. Krug has more than 70 peer-reviewed articles published in the highest ranking journals in the field and serves as a reviewer for more than 15 scientific journals. He reviews grants for NIH as well as the German, Austrian, Dutch, and British National Institutes. He also teaches a class on MR pulse programming in the departmental master program. Expertise: Musculoskeletal Imaging Specialty: Advanced pulse sequence development for high field MR imaging, MR spectroscopy and MRgFUS temperature assessment. Professional Interests: MRI of spine. High-resolution MRI of trabecular and cortical bone, MR fat quantification based on Dixon techniques, image analysis techniques of trabecular bone microstructure. ultra-short-TE (UTE) MRI of cartilage, bone, tendons and ligaments. High-intensity focused ultra-sound (HIFU) applications for bone ablation (temperature mapping of bone using UTE).
CTSI Profile Bio
Displaying 1 - 25 of 82
- Bonnheim NB, Lazar AA, Kumar A, Akkaya Z, Zhou J, Guo X, O'Neill C, Link TM, Lotz JC, Krug R, Fields AJ. ISSLS Prize in Bioengineering Science 2023: Age- and sex-related differences in lumbar intervertebral disc degeneration between patients with chronic low back pain and asymptomatic controls. Eur Spine J. 2023 Feb 18.
- Mauck MC, Lotz J, Psioda MA, Carey TS, Clauw DJ, Majumdar S, Marras WS, Vo N, Aylward A, Hoffmeyer A, Zheng P, Ivanova A, McCumber M, Carson C, Anstrom KJ, Bowden AE, Dalton D, Derr L, Dufour J, Fields AJ, Fritz J, Hassett AL, Harte SE, Hue TF, Krug R, Loggia ML, Mageswaran P, McLean SA, Mitchell UH, O'Neill C, Pedoia V, Quirk DA, Rhon DI, Rieke V, Shah L, Sowa G, Spiegel B, Wasan AD, Wey HM, LaVange L. The Back Pain Consortium (BACPAC) Research Program: Structure, Research Priorities, and Methods. Pain Med. 2023 Jan 09.
- Sollmann N, Fields AJ, O'Neill C, Nardo L, Majumdar S, Chin CT, Tosun D, Han M, Vu AT, Ozhinsky E, Shah LM, Harris RE, Lobo R, Anderst W, Herzog R, Psioda MA, Standaert CJ, Price RT, Lotz JC, Link TM, Krug R. Magnetic resonance imaging of the lumbar spine-recommendations for acquisition and image evaluation from the BACPAC Spine Imaging Working Group. Pain Med. 2022 Sep 07.
- Ballatori AM, Shahrestani S, Nyayapati P, Agarwal V, Krug R, Han M, Fields AJ, O'Neill C, Demir-Deviren S, Lotz JC, Bailey JF. Influence of patient-specific factors when comparing multifidus fat infiltration between chronic low back pain patients and asymptomatic controls. JOR Spine. 2022 Dec; 5(4):e1217.
- Khattab K, Dziesinski LK, Crawford R, Ballatori A, Nyayapati P, Krug R, Fields A, O'Neill CW, Lotz JC, Bailey JF. Spatial distribution of fat infiltration within the paraspinal muscles: implications for chronic low back pain. Eur Spine J. 2022 11; 31(11):2875-2883.
- Sollmann N, Kirschke JS, Kronthaler S, Boehm C, Dieckmeyer M, Vogele D, Kloth C, Lisson CG, Carballido-Gamio J, Link TM, Karampinos DC, Karupppasamy S, Beer M, Krug R, Baum T. Imaging of the Osteoporotic Spine - Quantitative Approaches in Diagnostics and for the Prediction of the Individual Fracture Risk. Rofo. 2022 10; 194(10):1088-1099.
- Bonnheim NB, Wang L, Lazar AA, Zhou J, Chachad R, Sollmann N, Guo X, Iriondo C, O'Neill C, Lotz JC, Link TM, Krug R, Fields AJ. The contributions of cartilage endplate composition and vertebral bone marrow fat to intervertebral disc degeneration in patients with chronic low back pain. Eur Spine J. 2022 07; 31(7):1866-1872.
- Torres-Espin A, Keller A, Johnson GTA, Fields AJ, Krug R, Ferguson AR, Hargens AR, O'Neill CW, Lotz JC, Bailey JF. Using hierarchical unsupervised learning to integrate and reduce multi-level and multi-paraspinal muscle MRI data in relation to low back pain. Eur Spine J. 2022 08; 31(8):2046-2056.
- Sollmann N, Bonnheim NB, Joseph GB, Chachad R, Zhou J, Akkaya Z, Pirmoazen AM, Bailey JF, Guo X, Lazar AA, Link TM, Fields AJ, Krug R. Paraspinal Muscle in Chronic Low Back Pain: Comparison Between Standard Parameters and Chemical Shift Encoding-Based Water-Fat MRI. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2022 Nov; 56(5):1600-1608.
- Bharadwaj UU, Coy A, Motamedi D, Sun D, Joseph GB, Krug R, Link TM. CT-like MRI: a qualitative assessment of ZTE sequences for knee osseous abnormalities. Skeletal Radiol. 2022 Aug; 51(8):1585-1594.
- Sollmann N, Becherucci EA, Boehm C, Husseini ME, Ruschke S, Burian E, Kirschke JS, Link TM, Subburaj K, Karampinos DC, Krug R, Baum T, Dieckmeyer M. Texture Analysis Using CT and Chemical Shift Encoding-Based Water-Fat MRI Can Improve Differentiation Between Patients With and Without Osteoporotic Vertebral Fractures. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2021; 12:778537.
- Fields AJ, Ballatori A, Han M, Bailey JF, McCormick ZL, O'Neill CW, Demir-Deviren S, Krug R, Lotz JC. Measurement of vertebral endplate bone marrow lesion (Modic change) composition with water-fat MRI and relationship to patient-reported outcome measures. Eur Spine J. 2021 Sep; 30(9):2549-2556.
- Zhou J, Damasceno PF, Chachad R, Cheung JR, Ballatori A, Lotz JC, Lazar AA, Link TM, Fields AJ, Krug R. Automatic Vertebral Body Segmentation Based on Deep Learning of Dixon Images for Bone Marrow Fat Fraction Quantification. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2020; 11:612.
- Ashmeik W, Baal JD, Foreman SC, Joseph GB, Bahroos E, Han M, Krug R, Link TM. Investigating the Association of Metabolic Biomarkers With Knee Cartilage Composition and Structural Abnormalities Using MRI: A Pilot Study. Cartilage. 2020 Aug 06; 1947603520946376.
- Wang L, Han M, Wong J, Zheng P, Lazar AA, Krug R, Fields AJ. Evaluation of human cartilage endplate composition using MRI: Spatial variation, association with adjacent disc degeneration, and in vivo repeatability. J Orthop Res. 2021 07; 39(7):1470-1478.
- Sollmann N, Löffler MT, Kronthaler S, Böhm C, Dieckmeyer M, Ruschke S, Kirschke JS, Carballido-Gamio J, Karampinos DC, Krug R, Baum T. MRI-Based Quantitative Osteoporosis Imaging at the Spine and Femur. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2021 07; 54(1):12-35.
- Dudli S, Ballatori A, Bay-Jensen AC, McCormick ZL, O'Neill CW, Demir-Deviren S, Krug R, Heggli I, Juengel A, Karppinen J, Brunner F, Farshad M, Distler O, Lotz JC, Fields AJ. Serum Biomarkers for Connective Tissue and Basement Membrane Remodeling are Associated with Vertebral Endplate Bone Marrow Lesions as Seen on MRI (Modic Changes). Int J Mol Sci. 2020 May 27; 21(11).
- Foreman SC, Wu PH, Kuang R, John MD, Tien PC, Link TM, Krug R, Kazakia GJ. Factors associated with bone microstructural alterations assessed by HR-pQCT in long-term HIV-infected individuals. Bone. 2020 04; 133:115210.
- Daly RM, Gianoudis J, Kersh ME, Bailey CA, Ebeling PR, Krug R, Nowson CA, Hill K, Sanders KM. Effects of a 12-Month Supervised, Community-Based, Multimodal Exercise Program Followed by a 6-Month Research-to-Practice Transition on Bone Mineral Density, Trabecular Microarchitecture, and Physical Function in Older Adults: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Bone Miner Res. 2020 03; 35(3):419-429.
- Foreman SC, Ashmeik W, Baal JD, Han M, Bahroos E, von Schacky CE, Carl M, Krug R, Joseph GB, Link TM. Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Exhibit a More Mineralized Deep Cartilage Layer Compared with Nondiabetic Controls: A Pilot Study. Cartilage. 2019 Aug 27; 1947603519870853.
- Fields AJ, Battié MC, Herzog RJ, Jarvik JG, Krug R, Link TM, Lotz JC, O'Neill CW, Sharma A, ISSLS Degenerative Spinal Phenotypes Group . Measuring and reporting of vertebral endplate bone marrow lesions as seen on MRI (Modic changes): recommendations from the ISSLS Degenerative Spinal Phenotypes Group. Eur Spine J. 2019 10; 28(10):2266-2274.
- Bailey JF, Fields AJ, Ballatori A, Cohen D, Jain D, Coughlin D, O'Neill C, McCormick Z, Han M, Krug R, Demir-Deviren S, Lotz JC. The Relationship Between Endplate Pathology and Patient-reported Symptoms for Chronic Low Back Pain Depends on Lumbar Paraspinal Muscle Quality. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2019 Jul 15; 44(14):1010-1017.
- Wu PH, Gibbons M, Foreman SC, Carballido-Gamio J, Han M, Krug R, Liu J, Link TM, Kazakia GJ. Cortical bone vessel identification and quantification on contrast-enhanced MR images. Quant Imaging Med Surg. 2019 Jun; 9(6):928-941.
- Krug R, Joseph GB, Han M, Fields A, Cheung J, Mundada M, Bailey J, Rochette A, Ballatori A, McCulloch CE, McCormick Z, O'Neill C, Link TM, Lotz J. Associations between vertebral body fat fraction and intervertebral disc biochemical composition as assessed by quantitative MRI. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2019 10; 50(4):1219-1226.
- Warden SJ, Carballido-Gamio J, Avin KG, Kersh ME, Fuchs RK, Krug R, Bice RJ. Adaptation of the proximal humerus to physical activity: A within-subject controlled study in baseball players. Bone. 2019 04; 121:107-115.