User Profile Photo
Paul Volberding, MD (Emeritus)
User Profile Name
Former Co-Director and Principal Investigator, UCSF-Gladstone CFAR
Professor Emeritus, School of Medicine
User Profile Title
User Profile Email
I was trained in Medical Oncology but became involved in the early AIDS epidemic in San Francisco based at San Francisco General Hospital. I have worked in clinical trials in HIV-related malignancies but primarily in the development of antiretroviral therapy. I was the PI and co-director with Warner Greene of the NIAID-funded UCSF-Gladstone Center for AIDS Research supporting the large community of HIV investigators in San Francisco. CFAR provides core services, pilot grants to early career stage investigators and supports a comprehensive mentorship program. In the Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute I served as a member of the Board of Directors and formerly directed the Global Health Program. I stepped down as the Chief of the Medical Service at the San Francisco VA Medical Center in 2012 to become the Director of the UCSF AIDS Research Institute. The ARI is the comprehensive University organization that links all HIV/AIDS research programs and is the central focus for communications, media relations and philanthropic support for this internationally recognized response to the HIV epidemic. In 2015, the ARI became the administrative home for a unique initiative to cure HIV infection funded by amfAR, the Foundation for AIDS Research. I served until recently as the Director of the amfAR Institute for HIV Cure, working with leading scientists at UCSF, the Gladstone Institute for Virology and Immunology, and the Vitalant (formerly the Blood Systems) Research Institute. I also served as the Associate Chair of the UCSF Department of Medicine for Global Health. I am the Clinical Editor in Chief of the Journal of the Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndromes and served as the Chair of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Accordia Global AIDS Foundation and the Infectious Diseases Institute at Makerere University in Kampala Uganda. I was a board member of the Pangaea Global AIDS Foundation. I am an active member of the National Academy of Medicine (formerly the Institute of Medicine) of the National Academy of Sciences and am the founding Board Chair of the International Antiviral Society-USA. On Twitter I am @pvolberding.
CTSI Profile Bio
Displaying 1 - 25 of 82
- Wedrychowski A, Martin HA, Li Y, Telwatte S, Kadiyala GN, Melberg M, Etemad B, Connick E, Jacobson JM, Margolis DM, Skiest D, Volberding P, Hecht F, Deeks S, Wong JK, Li JZ, Yukl SA. Transcriptomic Signatures of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Post-Treatment Control. J Virol. 2023 Jan 31; 97(1):e0125422.
- Malekinejad M, Jimsheleishvili S, Barker EK, Hutchinson AB, Shrestha RK, Volberding P, Kahn JG. Sexual Practice Changes Post-HIV Diagnosis Among Men Who Have Sex with Men in the United States: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. AIDS Behav. 2022 Jul 12.
- Lederman MM, Flier JS, Hale P, Haase AT, Powderly W, Reiss P, Silvestri G, Sekaly RP, Paiardini M, Weissman D, Kuritzkes DR, Calabrese LH, Agre P, Reyes-Teran G, Landay AL, Lewin S, Richman DD, Volberding P, Hunt PW, Schechter M. Is France Once Again Looking for a Scapegoat? Pathog Immun. 2021; 6(2):149-152.
- Fajnzylber J, Sharaf R, Hutchinson JN, Aga E, Bosch RJ, Hartogensis W, Jacobson JM, Connick E, Volberding P, Skiest DJ, Margolis D, Sneller MC, Little SJ, Gulick RM, Mellors JW, Gandhi RT, Schooley RT, Henry K, Tebas P, Deeks S, Chun TW, Collier AC, Hecht FM, Li JZ, CHAMP study team . Frequency of Post Treatment Control Varies by ART Restart and Viral Load Criteria. AIDS. 2021 Jun 14.
- Satre DD, Levine-Hall T, Sterling SA, Young-Wolff KC, Lam JO, Alexeeff S, Hojilla JC, Williams A, Justice AC, Sterne J, Cavassini M, Bryant KJ, Williams EC, Horberg MA, Volberding P, Weisner C, Silverberg MJ. The relationship of smoking and unhealthy alcohol use to the HIV care continuum among people with HIV in an integrated health care system. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2021 02 01; 219:108481.
- Malekinejad M, Blodgett J, Horvath H, Parriott A, Hutchinson AB, Shrestha RK, McCabe D, Volberding P, Kahn JG. Change in Condom Use in Populations Newly Aware of HIV Diagnosis in the United States and Canada: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. AIDS Behav. 2021 Jun; 25(6):1839-1855.
- Satre DD, Parthasarathy S, Silverberg MJ, Horberg M, Young-Wolff KC, Williams EC, Volberding P, Campbell CI. Health care utilization and HIV clinical outcomes among newly enrolled patients following Affordable Care Act implementation in a California integrated health system: a longitudinal study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2020 Nov 11; 20(1):1030.
- Saag MS, Gandhi RT, Hoy JF, Landovitz RJ, Thompson MA, Sax PE, Smith DM, Benson CA, Buchbinder SP, Del Rio C, Eron JJ, Fätkenheuer G, Günthard HF, Molina JM, Jacobsen DM, Volberding PA. Antiretroviral Drugs for Treatment and Prevention of HIV Infection in Adults: 2020 Recommendations of the International Antiviral Society-USA Panel. JAMA. 2020 10 27; 324(16):1651-1669.
- Volberding P. Sharing Experiences and Lessons: Medical Issues in Confronting the HIV Epidemic and COVID-19. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2020 10 01; 108(2):343-345.
- Harding BN, Whitney BM, Nance RM, Crane HM, Burkholder G, Moore RD, Mathews WC, Eron JJ, Hunt PW, Volberding P, Rodriguez B, Mayer K, Saag MS, Kitahata MM, Heckbert SR, Delaney JAC. Antiretroviral drug class and anaemia risk in the current treatment era among people living with HIV in the USA: a clinical cohort study. BMJ Open. 2020 03 19; 10(3):e031487.
- Volberding P, Chambers HF. Antimicrobial Drug Development Efficiency and Surrogate Markers of Clinical Benefit. JAMA Intern Med. 2020 01 01; 180(1):138-139.
- Heinemann AW, Volberding PA. National Academies Consensus Report on Functional Assessment for Adults With Disabilities. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2019 12; 100(12):2407-2408.
- Satre DD, Anderson AN, Leibowitz AS, Levine-Hall T, Slome S, Flamm J, Hare CB, McNeely J, Weisner CM, Horberg MA, Volberding P, Silverberg MJ. Implementing electronic substance use disorder and depression and anxiety screening and behavioral interventions in primary care clinics serving people with HIV: Protocol for the Promoting Access to Care Engagement (PACE) trial. Contemp Clin Trials. 2019 09; 84:105833.
- Scott H, Volberding PA. HIV Screening and Preexposure Prophylaxis Guidelines: Following the Evidence. JAMA. 2019 06 11; 321(22):2172-2174.
- Satre DD, Leibowitz AS, Leyden W, Catz SL, Hare CB, Jang H, Lam JO, Bryant KJ, Weisner CM, Sterling SA, Horberg M, Volberding P, Silverberg MJ. Interventions to Reduce Unhealthy Alcohol Use among Primary Care Patients with HIV: the Health and Motivation Randomized Clinical Trial. J Gen Intern Med. 2019 10; 34(10):2054-2061.
- Chahal HS, Peters MG, Harris AM, McCabe D, Volberding P, Kahn JG. Cost-effectiveness of Hepatitis B Virus Infection Screening and Treatment or Vaccination in 6 High-risk Populations in the United States. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019 Jan; 6(1):ofy353.
- Namazi G, Fajnzylber JM, Aga E, Bosch RJ, Acosta EP, Sharaf R, Hartogensis W, Jacobson JM, Connick E, Volberding P, Skiest D, Margolis D, Sneller MC, Little SJ, Gianella S, Smith DM, Kuritzkes DR, Gulick RM, Mellors JW, Mehraj V, Gandhi RT, Mitsuyasu R, Schooley RT, Henry K, Tebas P, Deeks SG, Chun TW, Collier AC, Routy JP, Hecht FM, Walker BD, Li JZ. The Control of HIV After Antiretroviral Medication Pause (CHAMP) Study: Posttreatment Controllers Identified From 14 Clinical Studies. J Infect Dis. 2018 11 05; 218(12):1954-1963.
- Sharaf R, Lee GQ, Sun X, Etemad B, Aboukhater LM, Hu Z, Brumme ZL, Aga E, Bosch RJ, Wen Y, Namazi G, Gao C, Acosta EP, Gandhi RT, Jacobson JM, Skiest D, Margolis DM, Mitsuyasu R, Volberding P, Connick E, Kuritzkes DR, Lederman MM, Yu XG, Lichterfeld M, Li JZ. HIV-1 proviral landscapes distinguish posttreatment controllers from noncontrollers. J Clin Invest. 2018 08 31; 128(9):4074-4085.
- Saag MS, Benson CA, Gandhi RT, Hoy JF, Landovitz RJ, Mugavero MJ, Sax PE, Smith DM, Thompson MA, Buchbinder SP, Del Rio C, Eron JJ, Fätkenheuer G, Günthard HF, Molina JM, Jacobsen DM, Volberding PA. Antiretroviral Drugs for Treatment and Prevention of HIV Infection in Adults: 2018 Recommendations of the International Antiviral Society-USA Panel. JAMA. 2018 07 24; 320(4):379-396.
- Strongin Z, Sharaf R, VanBelzen DJ, Jacobson JM, Connick E, Volberding P, Skiest DJ, Gandhi RT, Kuritzkes DR, O'Doherty U, Li JZ. Effect of Short-Term Antiretroviral Therapy Interruption on Levels of Integrated HIV DNA. J Virol. 2018 06 15; 92(12).
- Benson CA, Currier JS, Del Rio C, Gallant JE, Gulick RM, Marrazzo JM, Richman DD, Saag MS, Schooley RT, Volberding PA. A Conversation Among the IAS-USA Board of Directors: Hot Topics and Emerging Data in HIV Research and Care. Top Antivir Med. 2017 Dec/Jan; 24(4):142-151.
- Malekinejad M, Parriott A, Blodgett JC, Horvath H, Shrestha RK, Hutchinson AB, Volberding P, Kahn JG. Effectiveness of community-based condom distribution interventions to prevent HIV in the United States: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2017; 12(8):e0180718.
- Volberding PA. How to Survive a Plague: The Next Great HIV/AIDS History. JAMA. 2017 04 04; 317(13):1298-1299.
- Volberding PA. HIV Treatment and Prevention: An Overview of Recommendations From the IAS-USA Antiretroviral Guidelines Panel. Top Antivir Med. 2017 Feb/Mar; 25(1):17-24.
- Volberding P, Blattner WA. JAIDS: Transitions, Evolution, and Impact. . 2017 01 01; 74(1):1-2.