User Profile Photo
Judy Hahn, PhD, MA
User Profile Name
Professor, School of Medicine
CTSI Profile Title
User Profile Email
I am a Professor in Residence in the HIV, ID, and Global Medicine Division in the Department of Medicine. Substance use plays important biological and behavioral roles in health outcomes, and my work consists of epidemiology at the intersection of substance use and infectious diseases. My research team is currently conducting several NIH-funded studies to examine the use of TB prophylaxis in HIV/TB co-infected alcohol users, as well as interventions to reduce drinking and increase antiretroviral therapy adherence. We are using novel biomarkers of alcohol consumption and INH pill-taking to gain objective measurements where self-report is problematic. I am also teaching and mentoring via a K-24 award, and grant-writing courses in Epidemiology and Biostatistics and the UCSF CTSI KL2 Scholars Program.
CTSI Profile Bio
Displaying 1 - 25 of 177
- Hahn JA, Kevany S, Emenyonu NI, Sanyu N, Katusiime A, Muyindike WR, Fatch R, Shade SB. Costs of a Brief Alcohol Consumption Reduction Intervention for Persons Living with HIV in Southwestern Uganda: Comparisons of Live Versus Automated Cell Phone-Based Booster Components. AIDS Behav. 2023 Feb 20.
- Bertholet N, Saitz R, Hahn JA, Heeren TC, Emenyonu NI, Freiberg M, Winter MR, Kim TW, Magane K, Lloyd-Travaglini C, Fatch R, Bryant K, Forman LS, Rateau L, Blokhina E, Muyindike WR, Gnatienko N, Samet JH. Impact of alcohol use disorder severity on human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) viral suppression and CD4 count in three international cohorts of people with HIV. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2023 Feb 17.
- Hahn JA, Fatch R, Emenyonu NI, Sanyu N, Katusiime A, Levine B, John Boscardin W, Chander G, Hutton H, Camlin CS, Woolf-King SE, Muyindike WR. Effect of two counseling interventions on self-reported alcohol consumption, alcohol biomarker phosphatidylethanol (PEth), and viral suppression among persons living with HIV (PWH) with unhealthy alcohol use in Uganda: A randomized controlled trial. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2023 Jan 21; 244:109783.
- Odokonyero RF, Ocan M, Kinengyere AA, Nakasujja N, Muhwezi WW, Camlin CS, Hahn JA. Prevalence of, and factors associated with, alcohol use disorder among young adults (aged 15-24 years) living with HIV/AIDS in low-income and middle-income countries: protocol for a systematic review. BMJ Open. 2023 Jan 04; 13(1):e068108.
- Conroy AA, Tebbetts S, Darbes LA, Hahn JA, Neilands TB, McKenna SA, Mulauzi N, Mkandawire J, Ssewamala FM. Development of an Economic and Relationship-Strengthening Intervention for Alcohol Drinkers Living with HIV in Malawi. AIDS Behav. 2022 Dec 15; 1-16.
- Muyindike WR, Fatch R, Cheng DM, Emenyonu NI, Forman L, Ngabirano C, Adong J, Linas B, Jacobson KR, Hahn JA. Unhealthy Alcohol Use Is Associated With Suboptimal Adherence to Isoniazid Preventive Therapy in Persons With HIV in Southwestern Uganda. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2022 12 15; 91(5):460-468.
- Asiimwe C, Fatch R, Cheng DM, Emenyonu NI, Ngabirano C, Muyindike WR, Hahn JA. Bar Attendance and Alcohol Use Before and After COVID-19 Related Restrictions Among HIV-infected Adults in South-Western Uganda. AIDS Behav. 2022 Nov 28.
- Miller AP, Fatch R, Lodi S, Marson K, Emenyonu N, Kekibiina A, Beesiga B, Chamie G, Muyindike WR, Hahn JA. Unhealthy alcohol use and intimate partner violence among men and women living with HIV in Uganda. BMC Public Health. 2022 10 10; 22(1):1886.
- Forman LS, Lodi S, Fatch R, Emenyonu NI, Adong J, Ngabirano C, Jacobson KR, Gerona R, Reckers AR, Gandhi M, Muyindike WR, Hahn JA. Agreement Between Measures of Adherence to Isoniazid Preventive Therapy Among People With HIV in Uganda. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2022 Oct; 9(10):ofac516.
- Riley ED, Warner L, Hahn JA, Braun C, Dilworth S, Zevin B, Neilands TB, Weiser SD. Increased Difficulties Managing Chronic Medical Conditions During the COVID-19 Pandemic Are Associated With Increased Alcohol and Cannabis Use Among Unhoused and Unstably Housed Women. J Addict Med. 2022 Sep 08.
- Emenyonu N, Kekibiina A, Woolf-King S, Kyampire C, Fatch R, Dawson-Rose C, Muyindike W, Hahn J. Digital Health Screening in People With HIV in Uganda to Increase Alcohol Use Reporting: Qualitative Study on the Development and Testing of the Self-administered Digital Screener for Health. JMIR Form Res. 2022 Sep 01; 6(9):e35015.
- Adong J, Fatch R, Emenyonu N, Muyindike W, Ngabirano C, Cheng D, Hahn J. Cell Phone Availability and Usage for mHealth and Intervention Delivery to Persons Living With HIV in a Low-Resource Setting: Cross-sectional Study. JMIR Form Res. 2022 Aug 23; 6(8):e35631.
- Kim TW, Heeren TC, Samet JH, Bertholet N, Lloyd-Travaglini C, Winter MR, Magane KM, Gnatienko N, Bryant K, Rateau LJ, Muyindike WR, Hahn JA, Blokhina E, Saitz R. Alcohol and falls among people with HIV infection: A view from Russia and the United States. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2022 Sep; 46(9):1742-1752.
- Tindle HA, Freiberg MS, Cheng DM, Gnatienko N, Blokhina E, Yaroslavtseva T, Bendiks S, Patts G, Hahn J, So-Armah K, Stein MD, Bryant K, Lioznov D, Krupitsky E, Samet JH. Effectiveness of Varenicline and Cytisine for Alcohol Use Reduction Among People With HIV and Substance Use: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Netw Open. 2022 08 01; 5(8):e2225129.
- Belus JM, Joska JA, Bronsteyn Y, Rose AL, Andersen LS, Regenauer KS, Myers B, Hahn JA, Orrell C, Safren SA, Magidson JF. Gender Moderates Results of a Randomized Clinical Trial for the Khanya Intervention for Substance Use and ART Adherence in HIV Care in South Africa. AIDS Behav. 2022 Nov; 26(11):3630-3641.
- Hirchak KA, Amiri S, Kordas G, Oluwoye O, Lyons AJ, Bajet K, Hahn JA, McDonell MG, Campbell ANC, Venner K. Variations in national availability of waivered buprenorphine prescribers by racial and ethnic composition of zip codes. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy. 2022 05 25; 17(1):41.
- Ohurira T, Iyer HS, Wagman JA, Hahn JA, Bajunirwe F. Proximity to Alcohol Sellers and Dose Response Relationship Between Alcohol Consumption With Intimate Partner Violence in Rural Southwestern Uganda. J Interpers Violence. 2023 Jan; 38(1-2):NP1040-NP1059.
- Tully DC, Hahn JA, Bean DJ, Evans JL, Morris MD, Page K, Allen TM. Identification of Genetically Related HCV Infections Among Self-Described Injecting Partnerships. Clin Infect Dis. 2021 Aug 27.
- Woolf-King SE, Firkey M, Foley JD, Bricker J, Hahn JA, Asiago-Reddy E, Wikier J, Moskal D, Sheinfil AZ, Ramos J, Maisto SA. Development of a Telephone-Delivered Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Intervention for People Living with HIV who are Hazardous Drinkers. AIDS Behav. 2022 Sep; 26(9):3029-3044.
- Pierre F, Forman LS, Winter M, Cheng D, Ngabirano C, Emenyonu N, Hunt PW, Huang Y, Muyindike W, Samet J, Hahn JA, So-Armah K. Alcohol Consumption and Tryptophan Metabolism Among People with HIV Prior to Antiretroviral Therapy Initiation: The Uganda ARCH Cohort Study. Alcohol Alcohol. 2021 May 24.
- Alcover KC, Emenyonu NI, Fatch R, Kekibiina A, Marson K, Chamie G, Muyindike WR, Beesiga B, Kamya MR, Lodi S, Kane JC, Hahn JA, McDonell MG. Concordance Between Point-of-Care Urine Ethyl Glucuronide Alcohol Tests and Self-Reported Alcohol Use in Persons with HIV in Uganda. AIDS Behav. 2022 Aug; 26(8):2539-2547.
- Ngabirano C, Fatch R, Muyindike WR, Emenyonu NI, Adong J, Weiser SD, Samet JH, Cheng DM, Hahn JA. Exploring the Association Between Social Support and Hazardous Alcohol Use Among Persons Living with HIV in South Western Uganda. AIDS Behav. 2022 Jul; 26(7):2113-2122.
- Fatch R, Luginbühl M, Cheng DM, Gaugler S, Emenyonu NI, Ngabirano C, Adong J, Muyindike WR, Samet JH, Bryant K, Hahn JA. Comparison of automated determination of phosphatidylethanol (PEth) in dried blood spots (DBS) with previous manual processing and testing. Alcohol. 2022 02; 98:51-54.
- Mutumba M, Woolf-King S, Carrico AW, Emenyonu NI, Fatch R, Kekibiina A, Muyindike W, Hahn JA. Correlates and Effects of Alcohol Use Expectancies Among Persons Living with HIV in Uganda. AIDS Behav. 2021 Oct 01.
- Kekibiina A, Adong J, Fatch R, Emenyonu NI, Marson K, Beesiga B, Lodi S, Muyindike WR, Kamya M, Chamie G, McDonell MG, Hahn JA. Post-traumatic stress disorder among persons with HIV who engage in heavy alcohol consumption in southwestern Uganda. BMC Psychiatry. 2021 Sep 18; 21(1):457.