User Profile Photo
Felicia Chow, MD
User Profile Name
Associate Professor, School of Medicine
CTSI Profile Title
User Profile Email
Dr. Felicia Chow is a board-certified neurologist and neuro-infectious diseases physician who specializes in caring for patients with a wide range of neurological infections, including brain abscesses, neurocysticercosis, neurosyphilis, neurological complications of HIV and infectious causes of meningitis, encephalitis and myelitis. She directs the UCSF Neuro-Infectious Diseases Clinic on the Parnassus campus and also sees patients at San Francisco General Hospital. Dr. Chow has an active clinical research program focused on the epidemiology and pathogenesis of neurological complications of infections (e.g., cerebrovascular disease in HIV), with the goal of developing and implementing diagnostic tools and interventions to improve the outcomes of patients with neuro-infectious diseases worldwide. In addition, she is involved in global health education and mentorship for neurology trainees interested in the field of global health, coordinating international experiences for residents and supporting the development of their scholarly projects. Dr. Chow earned her undergraduate degree from Columbia University and MD from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. She completed an internship in internal medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital followed by a residency in neurology at Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, where she was selected to serve as chief resident. She completed fellowship training in neuro-infectious diseases and HIV neurology and earned an MAS in clinical research from UCSF. Dr. Chow is an Associate Professor of Neurology and has a joint appointment in the Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases. She is a member of the American Academy of Neurology, American Neurological Association, Infectious Diseases Society of America and HIV Medicine Association.
CTSI Profile Bio
Displaying 1 - 25 of 65
- Bartley CM, Ngo TT, Cadwell CR, Harroud A, Schubert RD, Alvarenga BD, Hawes IA, Zorn KC, Hunyh T, Teliska LH, Kung AF, Shah S, Gelfand JM, Chow FC, Rasband MN, Dubey D, Pittock SJ, DeRisi JL, Wilson MR, Pleasure SJ. Dual ankyrinG and subpial autoantibodies in a man with well-controlled HIV infection with steroid-responsive meningoencephalitis: A case report. Front Neurol. 2022; 13:1102484.
- Chow FC, Zhao F, He Y, Song X, Zhang J, Ao D, Wu Y, Hou B, Sorond FA, Ances BM, Letendre S, Heaton RK, Shi C, Feng F, Zhu Y, Wang H, Li T. Sex differences in the association between cerebrovascular function and cognitive health in people living with HIV in urban China. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2022 Nov 01.
- Rubin LH, Bekhbat M, Turkson S, Mehta CC, Maki PM, Anastos K, Gustafson D, Spence AB, Milam J, Chow FC, Weber K, Springer G, Gange SJ, Neigh GN. Glucocorticoid Receptor Function and Cognitive Performance in Women With HIV. Psychosom Med. 2022 10 01; 84(8):893-903.
- Peluso MJ, Sans HM, Forman CA, Nylander AN, Ho HE, Lu S, Goldberg SA, Hoh R, Tai V, Munter SE, Chenna A, Yee BC, Winslow JW, Petropoulos CJ, Martin JN, Kelly JD, Durstenfeld MS, Hsue PY, Hunt PW, Greene M, Chow FC, Hellmuth J, Henrich TJ, Glidden DV, Deeks SG. Plasma Markers of Neurologic Injury and Inflammation in People With Self-Reported Neurologic Postacute Sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 Infection. Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2022 09; 9(5).
- Corbett C, Brey N, Pitcher RD, O'Hagan S, Esterhuizen TM, Chow FC, Decloedt EH. Prevalence and Characteristics of HIV-Associated Stroke in a Tertiary Hospital Setting in South Africa. Neurology. 2022 08 30; 99(9):e904-e915.
- Mbonde AA, Chang J, Musubire A, Okello S, Kayanja A, Acan M, Nkwanga J, Katende A, Chow FC, Saylor D, O'Carroll C, Siedner MJ. An Analysis of Stroke Risk Factors by HIV Serostatus in Uganda: Implications for Stroke Prevention in Sub-Saharan Africa. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2022 Jul; 31(7):106449.
- Craig Corbett, Naeem Brey, Richard D. Pitcher, Suzanne O'hagan, Tonya M. Esterhuizen, Felicia C. Chow, Eric H. Decloedt. PREVALENCE AND CHARACTERISTICS OF HIV-ASSOCIATED STROKE IN A TERTIARY HOSPITAL SETTING IN SOUTH AFRICA. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases. 2022 Apr 1; 31(4):106370.
- Bystritsky RJ, Chow FC. Infectious Meningitis and Encephalitis. Neurol Clin. 2022 02; 40(1):77-91.
- Chow FC, Callen A, Arechiga V, Saloner D, Narvid J, Hsue PY. Intracranial vascular imaging detects arterial wall abnormalities in persons with treated HIV infection. AIDS. 2021 Sep 02.
- Peluso MJ, Hellmuth J, Chow FC. Central Nervous System Effects of COVID-19 in People with HIV Infection. Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2021 12; 18(6):538-548.
- Graham SM, Nance RM, Chen J, Le J, Chung DW, Wurfel MM, Tirschwell DL, Zunt JR, Marra CM, Ho EL, Huffer A, Chow FC, Martin JN, Ryan AS, Crane HM, López JA, Liles WC. Elevated Plasma von Willebrand Factor Levels Are Associated With Subsequent Ischemic Stroke in Persons With Treated HIV Infection. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2021 Nov; 8(11):ofab521.
- Chow F. Neurosyphilis. Continuum (Minneap Minn). 2021 Aug 01; 27(4):1018-1039.
- Harding BN, Avoundjian T, Heckbert SR, Whitney BM, Nance RM, Ruderman SA, Kalani R, Tirschwell DL, Ho EL, Becker KJ, Zunt J, Chow F, Huffer A, Mathews WC, Eron J, Moore RD, Marra CM, Burkholder G, Saag MS, Kitahata MM, Crane HM, Delaney JC. HIV Viremia and Risk of Stroke Among People Living with HIV Who Are Using Antiretroviral Therapy. Epidemiology. 2021 05 01; 32(3):457-464.
- Crane HM, Nance RM, Avoundjian T, Harding BN, Whitney BM, Chow FC, Becker KJ, Marra CM, Zunt JR, Ho EL, Kalani R, Huffer A, Burkholder GA, Willig AL, Moore RD, Mathews WC, Eron JJ, Napravnik S, Lober WB, Barnes GS, McReynolds J, Feinstein MJ, Heckbert SR, Saag MS, Kitahata MM, Delaney JAC, Tirschwell DL. Types of Stroke Among People Living With HIV in the United States. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2021 Apr 15; 86(5):568-578.
- Riley ED, Chow FC, Josephson SA, Dilworth SE, Lynch KL, Wade AN, Braun C, Hess CP. Cocaine Use and White Matter Hyperintensities in Homeless and Unstably Housed Women. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2021 May; 30(5):105675.
- Shieh JA, Leddy AM, Whittle HJ, Ofotokun I, Adimora AA, Tien PC, Weiser SD. Perceived Neighborhood-Level Drivers of Food Insecurity Among Aging Women in the United States: A Qualitative Study. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2021 05; 121(5):844-853.
- Sun B, Tang N, Peluso MJ, Iyer NS, Torres L, Donatelli JL, Munter SE, Nixon CC, Rutishauser RL, Rodriguez-Barraquer I, Greenhouse B, Kelly JD, Martin JN, Deeks SG, Henrich TJ, Pulliam L. Characterization and Biomarker Analyses of Post-COVID-19 Complications and Neurological Manifestations. Cells. 2021 02 13; 10(2).
- Chow FC, Lyass A, Mahoney TF, Massaro JM, Triant VA, Wu K, Berzins B, Robertson K, Ellis RJ, Tassiopoulos K, Taiwo B, D'Agostino RB. Baseline 10-Year Cardiovascular Risk Scores Predict Cognitive Function in Older Persons, and Particularly Women, Living With Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 12 15; 71(12):3079-3085.
- Donovan J, Cresswell FV, Thuong NTT, Boulware DR, Thwaites GE, Bahr NC, Tuberculous Meningitis International Research Consortium . Xpert MTB/RIF Ultra for the Diagnosis of Tuberculous Meningitis: A Small Step Forward. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 11 05; 71(8):2002-2005.
- Weiser SD, Sheira LA, Palar K, Kushel M, Wilson TE, Adedimeji A, Merenstein D, Cohen M, Turan JM, Metsch L, Adimora AA, Ofotokun I, Wentz E, Tien PC, Frongillo EA. Mechanisms from Food Insecurity to Worse HIV Treatment Outcomes in US Women Living with HIV. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2020 10; 34(10):425-435.
- Magid-Bernstein J, Guo CY, Chow FC, Thakur KT. A rare case of HIV CNS escape in a patient previously considered a viral controller. Int J STD AIDS. 2020 06; 31(7):694-698.
- Barbara Harding, Tigran Avoundjian, Susan R Heckbert, Bridget M Whitney, Robin M Nance, David L Tirschwell, Rizwan Kalani, Emily L Ho, Kyra J Becker, Joseph Zunt, Felicia Chow, Andrew Huffer, W C Mathews, Joseph Eron, Richard Moore, Christina M Marra, Greer Burkholder, Michael Saag, Mari M Kitahata, Heidi Crane, Joseph C Delaney. Abstract WMP55: HIV Viral Load and Stroke Risk. Stroke. 2020 Feb 1; 51(Suppl_1).
- Rohlwink UK, Chow FC, Wasserman S, Dian S, Lai RP, Chaidir L, Hamers RL, Wilkinson RJ, Boulware DR, Cresswell FV, van Laarhoven A, Tuberculous Meningitis International Research Consortium . Standardized approaches for clinical sampling and endpoint ascertainment in tuberculous meningitis studies. Wellcome Open Res. 2019; 4:204.
- Nguyen I, Kim AS, Chow FC. Prevention of stroke in people living with HIV. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 2020 Mar - Apr; 63(2):160-169.
- Seddon JA, Thwaites GE, Tuberculous Meningitis International Research Consortium . Tuberculous meningitis: new tools and new approaches required. Wellcome Open Res. 2019; 4:181.