Eric Goosby, MD
Eric Goosby, M.D., is an internationally recognized expert on infectious diseases, with a specialty in HIV/AIDS clinical care, research, and policy. During the Clinton Administration, Dr. Goosby was the founding director of the Ryan White CARE Act, the largest federally funded HIV/AIDS program in the U.S. He went on to become the interim director of the White House's Office of National AIDS Policy. In the Obama Administration, Dr. Goosby was appointed Ambassador-at-Large and implemented the U.S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), which significantly expanded under his tenure life-saving HIV treatment to millions in Sub Saharan Africa, SE Asia, and Eastern Europe.
After serving as the U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator, he was appointed by the UN Secretary-General as the Special Envoy on Tuberculosis, where he focused on the first-ever UN High-Level Meeting on TB in 2019. He is currently a Professor of Medicine at the UCSF School of Medicine and leading the Center for Global Health Delivery, Diplomacy and Economics, Institute for Global Health Sciences. Additionally, he is a member of the Biden Covid-19 Advisory Board, a member of the Western States Scientific Safety Review Workgroup, and serves on the San Francisco Dept. of Public Health, Policy Group for the COVID-19 Response.
Displaying 1 - 25 of 92
- Silva S, Goosby E, Reid MJA. Assessing the impact of one million COVID-19 deaths in America: economic and life expectancy losses. Sci Rep. 2023 Feb 22; 13(1):3065.
- Reid M, Goosby E. Securing Global Fund Replenishment to avoid another Cassandra moment. Lancet Glob Health. 2022 11; 10(11):e1553-e1554.
- Meffert SM, Lawhorn C, Ongeri L, Bukusi E, Campbell HR, Goosby E, Bertozzi SM, Kahonge SN. Scaling up public mental health care in Sub-Saharan Africa: insights from infectious disease. Glob Ment Health (Camb). 2021; 8:e41.
- Geng EH, Reid MJA, Goosby E, Abdool-Karim Q. COVID-19 and global equity for health: The good, the bad, and the wicked. PLoS Med. 2021 10; 18(10):e1003797.
- Silva S, Arinaminpathy N, Atun R, Goosby E, Reid M. Economic impact of tuberculosis mortality in 120 countries and the cost of not achieving the Sustainable Development Goals tuberculosis targets: a full-income analysis. Lancet Glob Health. 2021 Oct; 9(10):e1372-e1379.
- Martins DC, Babajide O, Maani N, Abdalla SM, Gómez EJ, Pongsiri MJ, Tlou S, Leung GM, Benjamin GC, Goosby E, Dain K, Vega J, Zeinali Z, Stoeva P, Galea S, Sturchio J, Twum-Danso NAY. Integrating Social Determinants in Decision-Making Processes for Health: Insights from Conceptual Frameworks-the 3-D Commission. J Urban Health. 2021 08; 98(Suppl 1):51-59.
- Babajide O, Martins DC, Maani N, Abdalla SM, Gómez EJ, Pongsiri MJ, Tlou S, Leung GM, Benjamin GC, Goosby E, Dain K, Vega J, Zeinali Z, Galea S, Sturchio J, Twum-Danso NAY. Improving Decision-Making for Population Health in Nonhealth Sectors in Urban Environments: the Example of the Transportation Sector in Three Megacities-the 3-D Commission. J Urban Health. 2021 08; 98(Suppl 1):60-68.
- Gandhi M, Beyrer C, Goosby E. Masks Reduce Viral Inoculum of SARS-CoV2. J Gen Intern Med. 2021 04; 36(4):1124-1125.
- Reid M, Abdool-Karim Q, Geng E, Goosby E. How will COVID-19 transform global health post-pandemic? Defining research and investment opportunities and priorities. PLoS Med. 2021 03; 18(3):e1003564.
- Reid M, Silva S, Goosby EP. World TB day: a new opportunity to reimagine workplace health. BMJ Glob Health. 2021 03; 6(3).
- Spinelli MA, Glidden DV, Gennatas ED, Bielecki M, Beyrer C, Rutherford G, Chambers H, Goosby E, Gandhi M. Importance of non-pharmaceutical interventions in lowering the viral inoculum to reduce susceptibility to infection by SARS-CoV-2 and potentially disease severity. Lancet Infect Dis. 2021 09; 21(9):e296-e301.
- Reid MJA, Silva S, Arinaminpathy N, Goosby E. Building a tuberculosis-free world while responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. Lancet. 2020 10 24; 396(10259):1312-1313.
- Onono MA, Rutherford GW, Bukusi EA, White JS, Goosby E, Brindis CD. Political prioritization and the competing definitions of adolescent pregnancy in Kenya: An application of the Public Arenas Model. PLoS One. 2020; 15(9):e0238136.
- Gandhi M, Beyrer C, Goosby E. Masks Do More Than Protect Others During COVID-19: Reducing the Inoculum of SARS-CoV-2 to Protect the Wearer. J Gen Intern Med. 2020 10; 35(10):3063-3066.
- Reid M, Gupta R, Roberts G, Goosby E, Wesson P. Achieving Universal Health Coverage (UHC): Dominance analysis across 183 countries highlights importance of strengthening health workforce. PLoS One. 2020; 15(3):e0229666.
- Reid MJA, Goosby E. Improving quality is necessary to building a TB-free world: Lancet Commission on Tuberculosis. J Clin Tuberc Other Mycobact Dis. 2020 May; 19:100156.
- Onono MA, Brindis CD, White JS, Goosby E, Okoro DO, Bukusi EA, Rutherford GW. Challenges to generating political prioritization for adolescent sexual and reproductive health in Kenya: A qualitative study. PLoS One. 2019; 14(12):e0226426.
- Castor D, Kimmel AL, McFall A, Padian N, Yansaneh A, Wiant S, Sandison S, Holmes C, Lucas R, Stanton D, Goosby E, Kottiri B. Employing the Payback Framework to Assess Implementation Science Research Utilization: Lessons From the USAID's PEPFAR HIV/AIDS Implementation Science Awards. . 2019 12; 82 Suppl 3:S348-S356.
- Reid M, Roberts G, Goosby E, Wesson P. Monitoring Universal Health Coverage (UHC) in high Tuberculosis burden countries: Tuberculosis mortality an important tracer of UHC service coverage. PLoS One. 2019; 14(10):e0223559.
- Reid M, Von Zinkernagel D, Beyeler N, Goosby E. Global Fund replenishment brings us one step closer to ending tuberculosis. Lancet Glob Health. 2019 12; 7(12):e1607-e1608.
- Agins BD, Ikeda DJ, Reid MJA, Goosby E, Pai M, Cattamanchi A. Improving the cascade of global tuberculosis care: moving from the "what" to the "how" of quality improvement. Lancet Infect Dis. 2019 12; 19(12):e437-e443.
- Reid MJA, Goosby E. A tuberculosis-free world: is it a delusion? - Authors' reply. Lancet. 2019 09 14; 394(10202):913-914.
- Goosby E. The Global Fund, Governance, and Accountability. Ann Glob Health. 2019 05 20; 85(1).
- Gostin LO, Monahan JT, Kaldor J, DeBartolo M, Friedman EA, Gottschalk K, Kim SC, Alwan A, Binagwaho A, Burci GL, Cabal L, DeLand K, Evans TG, Goosby E, Hossain S, Koh H, Ooms G, Roses Periago M, Uprimny R, Yamin AE. The legal determinants of health: harnessing the power of law for global health and sustainable development. Lancet. 2019 May 04; 393(10183):1857-1910.
- Glass RI, El-Sadr W, Goosby E, Kupfer LE. The HIV response and global health. Lancet. 2019 04 27; 393(10182):1696.