Elise Riley, PhD
Trained as an infectious disease epidemiologist, Dr. Riley is interested in how clinical, biological and behavioral factors converge to influence health. Her community-based research focuses on co-morbidities and competing risks in very low-income populations, with an emphasis on housing instability and associated conditions. She works with a team of multidisciplinary investigators, residents, and postdoctoral fellows on a research program that includes “Polysubstance Use and Health Outcomes Evaluation” (PULSE). PULSE investigates the combined influences of HIV, co-infections and substance use (medications, legal drugs like alcohol and illegal drugs) on the cardiac health of unsheltered and unstably housed women. Her program also includes "Cocaine use, viral suppression and precursors of stroke in HIV infection" (CUPS). CUPS investigates the influence of stimulant use and factors specific to HIV on cerebrovascular health in women and men living with HIV. The aim of both studies is to provide clinical tools for risk assessment that reduce morbidity and mortality in high-risk populations. The goal of Dr. Riley’s overall program is to inform health care delivery and prepare early-stage investigators for careers in patient-oriented health disparities research.
Displaying 1 - 25 of 107
- Riley ED, Kazi DS, Coffin PO, Vittinghoff E, Wade AN, Bulfone TC, Lynch KL, Atai Z, Wu AHB. Impact of multiple substance use on circulating ST2, a biomarker of adverse cardiac remodelling, in women. Biomarkers. 2022 Dec; 27(8):802-808.
- Hickey MD, Imbert E, Appa A, Del Rosario JB, Lynch E, Friend J, Avila R, Clemenzi-Allen A, Riley ED, Gandhi M, Havlir DV. HIV Treatment Outcomes in POP-UP: Drop-in HIV Primary Care Model for People Experiencing Homelessness. J Infect Dis. 2022 Oct 07; 226(Supplement_3):S353-S362.
- Riley ED, Warner L, Hahn JA, Braun C, Dilworth S, Zevin B, Neilands TB, Weiser SD. Increased Difficulties Managing Chronic Medical Conditions During the COVID-19 Pandemic Are Associated With Increased Alcohol and Cannabis Use Among Unhoused and Unstably Housed Women. J Addict Med. 2022 Sep 08.
- Riley ED, Kizer JR, Tien PC, Vittinghoff E, Lynch KL, Wu AHB, Coffin PO, Beck-Engeser G, Braun C, Hunt PW. Multiple substance use, inflammation and cardiac stretch in women living with HIV. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2022 09 01; 238:109564.
- Riley ED, Hsue PY, Coffin PO. A Chronic Condition Disguised as an Acute Event: the Case for Re-thinking Stimulant Overdose Death. J Gen Intern Med. 2022 10; 37(13):3462-3464.
- Imbert E, Hickey MD, Del Rosario JB, Conte M, Kerkhoff AD, Clemenzi-Allen A, Riley ED, Havlir DV, Gandhi M. Brief Report: Heterogeneous Preferences for Care Engagement Among People With HIV Experiencing Homelessness or Unstable Housing During the COVID-19 Pandemic. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2022 06 01; 90(2):140-145.
- Suen LW, Davy-Mendez T, LeSaint KT, Riley ED, Coffin PO. Emergency department visits and trends related to cocaine, psychostimulants, and opioids in the United States, 2008-2018. BMC Emerg Med. 2022 02 04; 22(1):19.
- Braun C, Wade AN, Weiser SD, Riley ED. Loss of Essential Resources During the COVID-19 Pandemic Among Unsheltered and Unstably Housed Women. J Gen Intern Med. 2022 03; 37(4):1017-1019.
- Johnson MO, Gandhi M, Fuchs JD, Sterling L, Sauceda JA, Saag MS, Riley ED, Sevelius JM. The impact of COVID-19 on mentoring early-career investigators: "Everything can wait. Listen more than usual and share your own struggles". Medicine (Baltimore). 2021 Oct 08; 100(40):e27423.
- Riley ED, Delucchi K, Rubin S, Weiser SD, Vijayaraghavan M, Lynch K, Tsoh JY. Ongoing tobacco use in women who experience homelessness and unstable housing: A prospective study to inform tobacco cessation interventions and policies. Addict Behav. 2022 02; 125:107125.
- Davy-Mendez T, Vittinghoff E, Dilworth SE, Suen LW, Braun C, Coffin PO, Satre DD, Riley ED. Non-fatal stimulant overdose among homeless and unstably housed women in San Francisco, California. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2021 11 01; 228:109085.
- Sheira LA, Frongillo EA, Hahn J, Palar K, Riley ED, Wilson TE, Adedimeji A, Merenstein D, Cohen M, Wentz EL, Adimora AA, Ofotokun I, Metsch L, Turan JM, Tien PC, Weiser SD. Relationship between food insecurity and smoking status among women living with and at risk for HIV in the USA: a cohort study. BMJ Open. 2021 09 06; 11(9):e054903.
- Rubin SB, Vijayaraghavan M, Weiser SD, Tsoh JY, Cohee A, Delucchi K, Riley ED. Homeless women's perspectives on smoking and smoking cessation programs: A qualitative study. Int J Drug Policy. 2021 Sep 01; 98:103377.
- Kagawa RMC, Riley ED. Gun violence against unhoused and unstably housed women: A cross-sectional study that highlights links to childhood violence. Inj Epidemiol. 2021 Aug 19; 8(1):52.
- Riley ED, Raven MC, Dilworth SE, Braun C, Imbert E, Doran KM. Using a "Big Events" framework to understand emergency department use among women experiencing homelessness or housing instability in San Francisco during the COVID-19 pandemic. Int J Drug Policy. 2021 Aug 03; 97:103405.
- Imbert E, Hickey MD, Clemenzi-Allen A, Lynch E, Friend J, Kelley J, Conte M, Das D, Rosario JBD, Collins E, Oskarsson J, Hicks ML, Riley ED, Havlir DV, Gandhi M. Evaluation of the POP-UP programme: a multicomponent model of care for people living with HIV with homelessness or unstable housing. AIDS. 2021 07 01; 35(8):1241-1246.
- Riley ED, Dilworth SE, Satre DD, Silverberg MJ, Neilands TB, Mangurian C, Weiser SD. Factors Associated With Symptoms of Depression and Anxiety Among Women Experiencing Homelessness and Unstable Housing During the COVID-19 Pandemic. JAMA Netw Open. 2021 07 01; 4(7):e2117035.
- Riley ED, Hickey MD, Imbert E, Clemenzi-Allen AA, Gandhi M. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) and HIV Spotlight the United States Imperative for Permanent Affordable Housing. Clin Infect Dis. 2021 06 01; 72(11):2042-2043.
- Riley ED, Chow FC, Josephson SA, Dilworth SE, Lynch KL, Wade AN, Braun C, Hess CP. Cocaine Use and White Matter Hyperintensities in Homeless and Unstably Housed Women. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2021 May; 30(5):105675.
- Hickey MD, Imbert E, Glidden DV, Del Rosario JB, Chong M, Clemenzi-Allen A, Oskarsson J, Riley ED, Gandhi M, Havlir DV. Viral suppression during COVID-19 among people with HIV experiencing homelessness in a low-barrier clinic-based program. AIDS. 2021 03 01; 35(3):517-519.
- Riley ED, Vittinghoff E, Wu AHB, Coffin PO, Hsue PY, Kazi DS, Wade A, Braun C, Lynch KL. Impact of polysubstance use on high-sensitivity cardiac troponin I over time in homeless and unstably housed women. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2020 12 01; 217:108252.
- Clemenzi-Allen AA, Hickey M, Conte M, Das D, Geng E, Riley E, Havlir D, Gandhi M, Imbert E. Improving Care Outcomes for PLWH Experiencing Homelessness and Unstable Housing: a Synthetic Review of Clinic-Based Strategies. Curr HIV/AIDS Rep. 2020 06; 17(3):259-267.
- Meacham MC, Lynch KL, Coffin PO, Wade A, Wheeler E, Riley ED. Addressing overdose risk among unstably housed women in San Francisco, California: an examination of potential fentanyl contamination of multiple substances. Harm Reduct J. 2020 03 10; 17(1):17.
- Riley ED, Vittinghoff E, Kagawa RMC, Raven MC, Eagen KV, Cohee A, Dilworth SE, Shumway M. Violence and Emergency Department Use among Community-Recruited Women Who Experience Homelessness and Housing Instability. J Urban Health. 2020 02; 97(1):78-87.
- Nápoles TM, Batchelder AW, Lin A, Moran L, Johnson MO, Shumway M, Luetkemeyer AF, Peters MG, Eagen KV, Riley ED. HCV treatment barriers among HIV/HCV co-infected patients in the US: a qualitative study to understand low uptake among marginalized populations in the DAA era. J Public Health (Oxf). 2019 12 20; 41(4):e283-e289.