User Profile Photo
Diane Havlir, MD
User Profile Name
Professor of Medicine, UCSF
Professor, School of Medicine
User Profile Title
User Profile Email
Diane Havlir, MD is a UCSF Professor and Chief of the HIV, Infectious Diseases and Global Medicine Division at ZSFG, home to world-renowned HIV research and Ward 86 clinical program. She is also the Associate Chair of Clinical Research in the Department of Medicine, Principal Investigator of the Sustainable East Africa Research in Community Health (SEARCH) Study, Director of the UCSF AIDS Research Institute (ARI), and serves as Robert L. Weiss Memorial Chair for HIV/AIDS Research. She was a resident at UCSF when the AIDS epidemic emerged in the 1980s, and she has both cared for HIV patients and conducted research—transforming national and international guidelines ever since. She is a long-standing NIH-funded investigator with over 400 publications including in the New England Journal of Medicine, JAMA and other high impact journals. Dr. Havlir was a Co-founder and continues as a Co-chair of San Francisco Getting to Zero (GTZ), a citywide consortium with a goal to eliminate new HIV infections and deaths. Diane has been very active globally via leadership roles in the World Health Organization (WHO), having chaired the HIV global drug resistance surveillance network, and the HIV-TB working group. She is the current co-chair of the WHO HIV treatment and prevention global guidelines, and Chair of the United Nations AIDS Scientific and Technical Advisory Committee, which provides high-level guidance on global action to combat the HIV/AIDS pandemic. The overall goal of her research is to develop therapeutic and prevention strategies to respond to global infectious disease pandemics: HIV, TB, and COVID-19. Antiretroviral therapy (for prevention or treatment) is one of the greatest successes in medicine, yet we have not fully used it to eliminate HIV or tuberculosis (TB). In the SEARCH study, Dr. Havlir and her team showed that a multi-disease, patient-centered approach to HIV testing and treatment reduced HIV incidence, HIV-associated tuberculosis and HIV-associated mortality, while improving population-level control of hypertension in a NIH-funded 320,000 person cluster-randomized study in rural East Africa. She continues towards her goal to accelerate the end of AIDS through the SEARCH-Sapphire study, which tests innovative prevention and treatment strategies intended to reach vulnerable populations left behind by current approaches. The study team is currently testing a multi-disease and multi-sector approach, on a path to universal healthcare. In addition to SEARCH-Sapphire, her research team is actively working on COVID-19 test-and-respond and vaccination services in San Francisco. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Dr. Havlir established the city-community-academic partnership Unidos en Salud, which has provided low barrier test-and-respond and vaccine services to thousands of persons in the Mission district of San Francisco, and has tracked epidemiologic trends, including the recent West Coast SARS-CoV-2 variant. Through a collaboration with the Latino Task Force, CZ Biohub, SFDPH and BayPLS, Unidos en Salud designed and evaluated low-barrier mass “test-and-respond” and vaccine interventions in San Francisco, to understand and intervene on COVID transmission in the disproportionately affected Latinx population.
CTSI Profile Bio
Displaying 1 - 25 of 426
- Hickey MD, Wafula E, Ogachi SM, Ojwando H, Orori G, Adede RO, Garraza LG, Petersen ML, Havlir DV, Balzer LB, Ayieko J. Weight change following switch to dolutegravir for HIV treatment in rural Kenya during country roll-out. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2023 Feb 14.
- Christopoulos KA, Grochowski J, Mayorga-Munoz F, Hickey MD, Imbert E, Szumowski JD, Dilworth S, Oskarsson J, Shiels M, Havlir D, Gandhi M. First Demonstration Project of Long-Acting Injectable Antiretroviral Therapy for Persons With and Without Detectable Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Viremia in an Urban HIV Clinic. Clin Infect Dis. 2023 Feb 08; 76(3):e645-e651.
- Marquez C, Chen Y, Atukunda M, Chamie G, Balzer LB, Kironde J, Ssemmondo E, Mwangwa F, Kabami J, Owaraganise A, Kakande E, Abbott R, Ssekyanzi B, Koss C, Kamya MR, Charlebois ED, Havlir DV, Petersen ML. The Association Between Social Network Characteristics and Tuberculosis Infection Among Adults in Nine Rural Ugandan Communities. Clin Infect Dis. 2022 Aug 19.
- Sabapathy K, Balzer L, Larmarange J, Block L, Floyd S, Iwuji C, Wirth K, Ayles H, Fidler S, Kamya M, Petersen M, Havlir D, Dabis F, Moore J, Hayes R. Achieving the UNAIDS 90-90-90 targets: a comparative analysis of four large community randomised trials delivering universal testing and treatment to reduce HIV transmission in sub-Saharan Africa. BMC Public Health. 2022 12 13; 22(1):2333.
- Albright J, Mick E, Sanchez-Guerrero E, Kamm J, Mitchell A, Detweiler AM, Neff N, Tsitsiklis A, Hayakawa Serpa P, Ratnasiri K, Havlir D, Kistler A, DeRisi JL, Pisco AO, Langelier CR. A 2-Gene Host Signature for Improved Accuracy of COVID-19 Diagnosis Agnostic to Viral Variants. mSystems. 2022 Dec 12; e0067122.
- Hickey MD, Owaraganise A, Sang N, Opel FJ, Mugoma EW, Ayieko J, Kabami J, Chamie G, Kakande E, Petersen ML, Balzer LB, Kamya MR, Havlir DV. Effect of a one-time financial incentive on linkage to chronic hypertension care in Kenya and Uganda: A randomized controlled trial. PLoS One. 2022; 17(11):e0277312.
- Chamie G, Prado P, Oviedo Y, Vizcaíno T, Arechiga C, Marson K, Carrera O, Alvarado MJ, Corchado CG, Gomez M, Mochel M, de Leon I, Garibay KK, Durazo A, Young MT, Yen IH, Sauceda J, Rojas S, DeRisi J, Petersen M, Havlir DV, Marquez C. Reproducibility and implementation of a rapid, community-based COVID-19 "test and respond" model in low-income, majority-Latino communities in Northern California. PLoS One. 2022; 17(10):e0276257.
- Bangirana P, Conroy AL, Opoka RO, Semrud-Clikeman M, Jang JH, Apayi C, Kakuru A, Muhindo MK, Georgieff MK, Dorsey GM, Kamya MR, Havlir D, John CC. Effect of malaria and malaria chemoprevention regimens in pregnancy and childhood on neurodevelopmental and behavioral outcomes in children at 12, 24 and 36 months: a randomized clinical trial. Clin Infect Dis. 2022 Oct 11.
- Hickey MD, Imbert E, Appa A, Del Rosario JB, Lynch E, Friend J, Avila R, Clemenzi-Allen A, Riley ED, Gandhi M, Havlir DV. HIV Treatment Outcomes in POP-UP: Drop-in HIV Primary Care Model for People Experiencing Homelessness. J Infect Dis. 2022 Oct 07; 226(Supplement_3):S353-S362.
- Camlin CS, Getahun M, Koss CA, Owino L, Akatukwasa C, Itiakorit H, Onyango A, Bakanoma R, Atwine F, Maeri I, Ayieko J, Atukunda M, Owaraganise A, Mwangwa F, Sang N, Kabami J, Kaplan RL, Chamie G, Petersen ML, Cohen CR, Bukusi EA, Kamya MR, Havlir DV, Charlebois ED. Providers' Attitudes and Experiences with Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis Implementation in a Population-Based Study in Kenya and Uganda. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2022 Oct; 36(10):396-404.
- Marquez C, Kerkhoff AD, Schrom J, Rojas S, Black D, Mitchell A, Wang CY, Pilarowski G, Ribeiro S, Jones D, Payan J, Manganelli S, Rojas S, Lemus J, Jain V, Chamie G, Tulier-Laiwa V, Petersen M, DeRisi J, Havlir DV. COVID-19 Symptoms and Duration of Rapid Antigen Test Positivity at a Community Testing and Surveillance Site During Pre-Delta, Delta, and Omicron BA.1 Periods. JAMA Netw Open. 2022 10 03; 5(10):e2235844.
- Schrom J, Marquez C, Petersen M, DeRisi J, Havlir D. Comparison of SARS-CoV-2 Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction and BinaxNOW Rapid Antigen Tests at a Community Site During an Omicron Surge. Ann Intern Med. 2022 Oct; 175(10):W119.
- Vojnov L, Havlir D, Myer L, Abrams E, Jani I. Same-day test and treat for infants with HIV infection: finally within reach. J Int AIDS Soc. 2022 09; 25(9):e26016.
- Spinelli MA, Le Tourneau N, Glidden DV, Hsu L, Hickey MD, Imbert E, Arreguin M, Jain JP, Oskarsson JJ, Buchbinder SP, Johnson MO, Havlir D, Christopoulos KA, Gandhi M. Impact of Multicomponent Support Strategies on Human Immunodeficiency Virus Virologic Suppression Rates During Coronavirus Disease 2019: An Interrupted Time Series Analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2022 Aug 24; 75(1):e947-e954.
- Liu J, Laurie MT, Rubio L, Vazquez SE, Sunshine S, Mitchell AM, Hapte-Selassie M, Mann SA, Pilarowski G, Black D, Marquez C, Rojas S, Lionakis MS, Petersen M, Whitman JD, Jain V, Anderson M, Havlir D, DeRisi J. Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) Transmission Dynamics and Immune Responses in a Household of Vaccinated Persons. Clin Infect Dis. 2022 08 24; 75(1):e303-e306.
- Kerkhoff AD, Chilukutu L, Nyangu S, Kagujje M, Mateyo K, Sanjase N, Eshun-Wilson I, Geng EH, Havlir DV, Muyoyeta M. Patient Preferences for Strategies to Improve Tuberculosis Diagnostic Services in Zambia. JAMA Netw Open. 2022 08 01; 5(8):e2229091.
- Pujol-Hodge E, Salazar-Gonzalez JF, Ssemwanga D, Charlebois ED, Ayieko J, Grant HE, Liegler T, Atkins KE, Kaleebu P, Kamya MR, Petersen M, Havlir DV, Leigh Brown AJ. Detection of HIV-1 Transmission Clusters from Dried Blood Spots within a Universal Test-and-Treat Trial in East Africa. Viruses. 2022 07 29; 14(8).
- Kakande E, Christian C, Balzer LB, Owaraganise A, Nugent JR, DiIeso W, Rast D, Kabami J, Johnson Peretz J, Camlin CS, Shade SB, Geng EH, Kwarisiima D, Kamya MR, Havlir DV, Chamie G. A mid-level health manager intervention to promote uptake of isoniazid preventive therapy among people with HIV in Uganda: a cluster randomised trial. Lancet HIV. 2022 09; 9(9):e607-e616.
- Johnson-Peretz J, Lebu S, Akatukwasa C, Getahun M, Ruel T, Lee J, Ayieko J, Mwangwa F, Owino L, Onyango A, Maeri I, Atwine F, Charlebois ED, Bukusi EA, Kamya MR, Havlir DV, Camlin CS. "I was still very young": agency, stigma and HIV care strategies at school, baseline results of a qualitative study among youth in rural Kenya and Uganda. J Int AIDS Soc. 2022 07; 25 Suppl 1:e25919.
- Imbert E, Hickey MD, Del Rosario JB, Conte M, Kerkhoff AD, Clemenzi-Allen A, Riley ED, Havlir DV, Gandhi M. Brief Report: Heterogeneous Preferences for Care Engagement Among People With HIV Experiencing Homelessness or Unstable Housing During the COVID-19 Pandemic. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2022 06 01; 90(2):140-145.
- Laurie MT, Liu J, Sunshine S, Peng J, Black D, Mitchell AM, Mann SA, Pilarowski G, Zorn KC, Rubio L, Bravo S, Marquez C, Sabatino JJ, Mittl K, Petersen M, Havlir D, DeRisi J. SARS-CoV-2 Variant Exposures Elicit Antibody Responses With Differential Cross-Neutralization of Established and Emerging Strains Including Delta and Omicron. J Infect Dis. 2022 06 01; 225(11):1909-1914.
- Mwangwa F, Charlebois ED, Ayieko J, Olio W, Black D, Peng J, Kwarisiima D, Kabami J, Balzer LB, Petersen ML, Kapogiannis B, Kamya MR, Havlir DV, Ruel TD. Two or more significant life-events in 6-months are associated with lower rates of HIV treatment and virologic suppression among youth with HIV in Uganda and Kenya. AIDS Care. 2022 May 16; 1-11.
- Kerkhoff AD, Rojas S, Black D, Ribeiro S, Rojas S, Valencia R, Lemus J, Payan J, Schrom J, Jones D, Manganelli S, Bandi S, Chamie G, Tulier-Laiwa V, Petersen M, Havlir D, Marquez C. Integrating Rapid Diabetes Screening Into a Latinx Focused Community-Based Low-Barrier COVID-19 Testing Program. JAMA Netw Open. 2022 05 02; 5(5):e2214163.
- Phillips AN, Bershteyn A, Revill P, Bansi-Matharu L, Kripke K, Boily MC, Martin-Hughes R, Johnson LF, Mukandavire Z, Jamieson L, Meyer-Rath G, Hallett TB, Ten Brink D, Kelly SL, Nichols BE, Bendavid E, Mudimu E, Taramusi I, Smith J, Dalal S, Baggaley R, Crowley S, Terris-Prestholt F, Godfrey-Faussett P, Mukui I, Jahn A, Case KK, Havlir D, Petersen M, Kamya M, Koss CA, Balzer LB, Apollo T, Chidarikire T, Mellors JW, Parikh UM, Godfrey C, Cambiano V, HIV Modelling Consortium. Cost-effectiveness of easy-access, risk-informed oral pre-exposure prophylaxis in HIV epidemics in sub-Saharan Africa: a modelling study. Lancet HIV. 2022 05; 9(5):e353-e362.
- Ayieko J, Petersen ML, Kamya MR, Havlir DV. PEP for HIV prevention: are we missing opportunities to reduce new infections? J Int AIDS Soc. 2022 05; 25(5):e25942.