Vasantha Jotwani, MD
I am a clinician-investigator at UCSF and the San Francisco VA Medical Center, and my goal is to reduce the burden of kidney disease by identifying and intervening on kidney injury at the earliest stages. I am the recipient of a NHLBI-funded R01 to investigate the intersection of mitochondrial health, cardiovascular risk and blood pressure targets in hypertensive adults, and a NIDDK-funded K23 award focused on urinary biomarkers for detection of drug-induced nephrotoxicity in persons with and without HIV infection. My initial work demonstrated the potential for urinary biomarkers to capture distinct types of kidney damage and to prognosticate long-term kidney risk in HIV-infected individuals. With our collaborators, we built a panel of urinary biomarkers to detect kidney damage across the nephron; these markers have been studied in various settings as indicators of acute kidney injury and chronic kidney disease. My work made the novel contribution that biomarkers specific for tubular dysfunction and injury can be used to identify tubular toxicity from antiretroviral medications, both in HIV-infected individuals and in HIV-uninfected individuals receiving pre-exposure prophylaxis. Additionally, I am a co-Investigator for an ongoing NIDDK-funded R01 that focuses on urinary biomarkers of kidney tubular health in SPRINT participants with CKD. I also serve as a co-Investigator for a NIA-funded R01 that aims to investigate the role of mitochondrial health in acute and chronic kidney diseases and a NIDDK-funded R01 that will examine the impact of mitochondrial health on kidney function in an exercise trial.
I am dedicated to my clinical practice as a nephrologist, and I care for patients at the San Francisco VA Medical Center (SFVAMC) and UCSF Parnassus Medical Center. At the SFVAMC, I serve on the inpatient nephrology consult service and I provide outpatient nephrology consultation services for referring physicians through the SFVA Renal clinic. I also provide outpatient nephrology consultation services through the UCSF Parnassus Nephrology practice, where I have held an ambulatory panel since 2014. I manage a small dialysis practice at Satellite Health and Wellbound for my patients who have progressed to end-stage kidney disease.
Finally, I serve as the SFVAMC Site Director for the UCSF Nephrology Fellowship program. In this capacity, I oversee the nephrology fellows on all clinical, elective and research rotations at the SFVAMC. I am responsible for design, organization, and implementation of the weekly fellowship lecture series, and I chair the Nephrology Fellowship Program Evaluation Committee. In July of 2021, we launched a wellness program for the UCSF Nephrology Fellowship program. Developed with input from fellows and with the support of division leadership, our multi-pronged program includes social events to improve fellows' sense of connection, monthly tips that address health and well-being, and monthly recognition of 2-3 fellows to appreciate their efforts.
Displaying 1 - 25 of 42
- Garimella PS, Scherzer R, Kestenbaum BR, Hoofnagle AN, Jotwani V, Gustafson D, Karim R, Sharma A, Cohen M, Dumond J, Abraham A, Estrella M, Shlipak MG, Ix JH. tubular secretory solute clearance and hiv infection. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2023 Mar 29.
- Ascher SB, Shlipak MG, Katz R, Bullen AL, Scherzer R, Hallan SI, Cheung AK, Raphael KL, Estrella MM, Jotwani VK, Seegmiller JC, Ix JH, Garimella PS. Estimated Kidney Tubular Secretion and Kidney, Cardiovascular, and Mortality Outcomes in CKD: The Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial. Kidney Med. 2022 Dec; 4(12):100546.
- Ascher SB, Scherzer R, Estrella MM, Berry JD, de Lemos JA, Jotwani VK, Garimella PS, Malhotra R, Bullen AL, Katz R, Ambrosius WT, Cheung AK, Chonchol M, Killeen AA, Ix JH, Shlipak MG, SPRINT Research Group. Kidney tubule health, mineral metabolism and adverse events in persons with CKD in SPRINT. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2022 08 22; 37(9):1637-1646.
- Bullen AL, Ascher SB, Scherzer R, Garimella PS, Katz R, Hallan SI, Cheung AK, Raphael KL, Estrella MM, Jotwani VK, Malhotra R, Seegmiller JC, Shlipak MG, Ix JH. Markers of Kidney Tubular Secretion and Risk of Adverse Events in SPRINT Participants with CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2022 Oct; 33(10):1915-1926.
- Shlipak MG, Sheshadri A, Hsu FC, Chen SH, Jotwani V, Tranah G, Fielding RA, Liu CK, Ix J, Coca SG, LIFE Investigators. Effect of Structured, Moderate Exercise on Kidney Function Decline in Sedentary Older Adults: An Ancillary Analysis of the LIFE Study Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2022 06 01; 182(6):650-659.
- Ascher SB, Scherzer R, de Lemos JA, Estrella MM, Jotwani VK, Garimella PS, Bullen AL, Ambrosius WT, Ballantyne CM, Nambi V, Killeen AA, Ix JH, Shlipak MG, Berry JD. Associations of High-Sensitivity Troponin and Natriuretic Peptide Levels With Serious Adverse Events in SPRINT. J Am Heart Assoc. 2022 03 15; 11(6):e023314.
- Muiru AN, Scherzer R, Ascher SB, Jotwani V, Grunfeld C, Shigenaga J, Spaulding KA, Ng DK, Gustafson D, Spence AB, Sharma A, Cohen MH, Parikh CR, Ix JH, Estrella MM, Shlipak MG. Associations of CKD risk factors and longitudinal changes in urine biomarkers of kidney tubules among women living with HIV. BMC Nephrol. 2021 Aug 30; 22(1):296.
- Bullen AL, Katz R, Jotwani V, Garimella PS, Lee AK, Estrella MM, Shlipak MG, Ix JH. Biomarkers of Kidney Tubule Health, CKD Progression, and Acute Kidney Injury in SPRINT (Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial) Participants. Am J Kidney Dis. 2021 09; 78(3):361-368.e1.
- Ascher SB, Scherzer R, Estrella MM, Jotwani VK, Shigenaga J, Spaulding KA, Ng DK, Gustafson D, Spence AB, Sharma A, Cohen MH, Parikh CR, Ix JH, Shlipak MG. Urine Biomarkers of Kidney Tubule Health and Incident CKD Stage 3 in Women Living With HIV: A Repeated Measures Study. Kidney Med. 2021 May-Jun; 3(3):395-404.e1.
- Ascher SB, Scherzer R, Estrella MM, Muiru AN, Jotwani VK, Grunfeld C, Shigenaga J, Spaulding KA, Ng DK, Gustafson D, Spence AB, Sharma A, Cohen MH, Parikh CR, Ix JH, Shlipak MG. Kidney tubule health scores and their associations with incident CKD in women living with HIV. HIV Med. 2021 Aug; 22(7):527-537.
- Malhotra R, Katz R, Jotwani V, Agarwal A, Cohen DL, Cushman WC, Ishani A, Killeen AA, Kitzman DW, Oparil S, Papademetriou V, Parikh CR, Raphael KL, Rocco MV, Tamariz LJ, Whelton PK, Wright JT, Shlipak MG, Ix JH. Estimated GFR Variability and Risk of Cardiovascular Events and Mortality in SPRINT (Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial). Am J Kidney Dis. 2021 07; 78(1):48-56.
- Jotwani V, Garimella PS, Katz R, Malhotra R, Bates J, Cheung AK, Chonchol M, Drawz PE, Freedman BI, Haley WE, Killeen AA, Punzi H, Sarnak MJ, Segal MS, Shlipak MG, Ix JH, SPRINT Research Group. Tubular Biomarkers and Chronic Kidney Disease Progression in SPRINT Participants. Am J Nephrol. 2020; 51(10):797-805.
- Ascher SB, Scherzer R, Estrella MM, Shigenaga J, Spaulding KA, Glidden DV, Mehrotra ML, Defechereux P, Gandhi M, Grant RM, Shlipak MG, Jotwani V. HIV preexposure prophylaxis with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate/emtricitabine and changes in kidney function and tubular health. AIDS. 2020 04 01; 34(5):699-706.
- Malhotra R, Katz R, Jotwani V, Ambrosius WT, Raphael KL, Haley W, Rastogi A, Cheung AK, Freedman BI, Punzi H, Rocco MV, Ix JH, Shlipak MG. Urine Markers of Kidney Tubule Cell Injury and Kidney Function Decline in SPRINT Trial Participants with CKD. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2020 03 06; 15(3):349-358.
- Garimella PS, Lee AK, Ambrosius WT, Bhatt U, Cheung AK, Chonchol M, Craven T, Hawfield AT, Jotwani V, Killeen A, Punzi H, Sarnak MJ, Wall BM, Ix JH, Shlipak MG. Markers of kidney tubule function and risk of cardiovascular disease events and mortality in the SPRINT trial. Eur Heart J. 2019 11 01; 40(42):3486-3493.
- Ascher SB, Scherzer R, Nishtala A, Jotwani V, Grunfeld C, Parikh CR, Ng D, Wang R, Palella FJ, Shlipak MG, Estrella MM. Association of Statin Use With Kidney Damage and Function Among HIV-Infected Men. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2019 10 01; 82(2):202-210.
- Ascher SB, Scherzer R, Estrella MM, Shlipak MG, Ng DK, Palella FJ, Witt MD, Ho K, Bennett MR, Parikh CR, Ix JH, Jotwani V. Associations of Urine Biomarkers with Kidney Function Decline in HIV-Infected and Uninfected Men. Am J Nephrol. 2019; 50(5):401-410.
- Lee AK, Katz R, Jotwani V, Garimella PS, Ambrosius WT, Cheung AK, Gren LH, Neyra JA, Punzi H, Raphael KL, Shlipak MG, Ix JH. Distinct Dimensions of Kidney Health and Risk of Cardiovascular Disease, Heart Failure, and Mortality. Hypertension. 2019 10; 74(4):872-879.
- Bullen AL, Katz R, Lee AK, Anderson CAM, Cheung AK, Garimella PS, Jotwani V, Haley WE, Ishani A, Lash JP, Neyra JA, Punzi H, Rastogi A, Riessen E, Malhotra R, Parikh CR, Rocco MV, Wall BM, Bhatt UY, Shlipak MG, Ix JH, Estrella MM. The SPRINT trial suggests that markers of tubule cell function in the urine associate with risk of subsequent acute kidney injury while injury markers elevate after the injury. Kidney Int. 2019 08; 96(2):470-479.
- Jotwani VK, Lee AK, Estrella MM, Katz R, Garimella PS, Malhotra R, Rifkin DE, Ambrosius W, Freedman BI, Cheung AK, Raphael KL, Drawz P, Neyra JA, Oparil S, Punzi H, Shlipak MG, Ix JH, for?the?SPRINT?Research?Group. Urinary Biomarkers of Tubular Damage Are Associated with Mortality but Not Cardiovascular Risk among Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial Participants with Chronic Kidney Disease. Am J Nephrol. 2019; 49(5):346-355.
- Crockett KB, Edmonds A, Johnson MO, Neilands TB, Kempf MC, Konkle-Parker D, Wingood G, Tien PC, Cohen M, Wilson TE, Logie CH, Sosanya O, Plankey M, Golub E, Adimora AA, Parish C, Weiser SD, Turan JM, Turan B. Neighborhood Racial Diversity, Socioeconomic Status, and Perceptions of HIV-Related Discrimination and Internalized HIV Stigma Among Women Living with HIV in the United States. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2019 06; 33(6):270-281.
- Alexandra K Lee, Ronit Katz, Walter T Ambrosius, Alfred K Cheung, Pranav Garimella, Lisa H Gren, Vasantha Jotwani, Javier A Neyra, Henry Punzi, Kalani Raphael, Joachim H Ix, Michael Shlipak. Abstract MP09: Indices of Kidney Tubular Health Improve Cardiovascular Disease Risk Prediction in Adults With Hypertension and Chronic Kidney Disease in SPRINT. Circulation. 2019 Mar 5; 139(Suppl_1).
- Muiru AN, Shlipak MG, Scherzer R, Zhang WR, Ascher SB, Jotwani V, Grunfeld C, Parikh CR, Ng D, Palella FJ, Ho K, Kassaye S, Sharma A, Cohen M, Wang R, Qi Q, Estrella MM. Kidney disease risk factors associate with urine biomarkers concentrations in HIV-positive persons; a cross-sectional study. BMC Nephrol. 2019 01 03; 20(1):4.
- Ascher SB, Scherzer R, Estrella MM, Zhang WR, Muiru AN, Jotwani V, Grunfeld C, Parikh CR, Gustafson D, Young M, Sharma A, Cohen MH, Ng DK, Palella FJ, Witt MD, Ho K, Shlipak MG. Association of Urinary Biomarkers of Kidney Injury with Estimated GFR Decline in HIV-Infected Individuals following Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate Initiation. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2018 09 07; 13(9):1321-1329.
- Jotwani V, Scherzer R, Glidden DV, Mehrotra M, Defechereux P, Liu A, Gandhi M, Bennett M, Coca SG, Parikh CR, Grant RM, Shlipak MG. Pre-exposure Prophylaxis With Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate/Emtricitabine and Kidney Tubular Dysfunction in HIV-Uninfected Individuals. . 2018 06 01; 78(2):169-174.