User Profile Photo
Mike McCune, MD, PhD
User Profile Name
Head, HIV Frontiers Global Health Innovative Technology Solutions Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Professor, School of Medicine
User Profile Title
User Profile Email
Joseph ("Mike") McCune is a professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). He received his AB degree from Harvard College in 1975, his PhD degree from Rockefeller University in 1981, and his MD degree from Cornell University Medical College in 1982. He completed his residency in internal medicine in 1984 and did fellowship training in infectious diseases at UCSF. He is board certified in internal medicine. The McCune lab has been involved for many years in the analysis of HIV pathogenesis, prevention, treatment, and cure. Dr. McCune started to treat patients with HIV disease as a resident in internal medicine at UCSF in 1982 and has been involved in the HIV/AIDS research field ever since. This work included postdoctoral studies at Stanford, exploring the fusogenic properties of the HIV envelope protein and developing the first humanized mouse model (the SCID-hu mouse) capable of multilineage human hematopoiesis and receptive to infection with primary isolates of HIV. He then co-founded the companies SyStemix (in 1988) and Progenesys (and 1991), serving as Scientific Director and leading research efforts to find better ways – including antiviral medications and hematopoietic stem cell-based gene therapy – to treat HIV disease. In 1995, Dr. McCune returned to academia, first as an investigator at the Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology and then (from 2006-2016) as the Chief of the Division of Experimental Medicine (which he founded) at UCSF. Concomitantly, he was the founding PI (and Senior Associate Dean) of the Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute at UCSF (from 2005-08). In recent years, he has helped to form multidisciplinary, collaborative research teams to find a cure for HIV disease. Throughout this time, he has actively mentored graduate students and postdoctoral fellows, many of whom have gone on to successful careers in academia or biotech/pharma. Dr. McCune’s studies have led to the publication of over 200 peer-reviewed articles, and he is the holder of 20 patents and inventions. He is a member of many scientific and professional societies, including the American Society for Clinical Investigation, the American Association of Physicians, and the Henry Kunkel Society. He has served on the editorial boards of Virology and the Journal of the Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. He was awarded the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation Scientist Award in 1996, the Burroughs Wellcome Fund Clinical Scientist Award in Translational Research in 2000, a MERIT Award from the NIH in 2001, the NIH Director’s Pioneer Award in 2004, and the Holly Smith Award for Exceptional Service to the School of Medicine in 2016. He was also selected to give the UCSF Academic Senate Faculty Research Lecture (on Translational Science) in 2013.
CTSI Profile Bio
Displaying 1 - 25 of 252
- Swainson LA, Sharma AA, Ghneim K, Ribeiro SP, Wilkinson P, Dunham RM, Albright RG, Wong S, Estes JD, Piatak M, Deeks SG, Hunt PW, Sekaly RP, McCune JM. IFN-α blockade during ART-treated SIV infection lowers tissue vDNA, rescues immune function, and improves overall health. JCI Insight. 2022 03 08; 7(5).
- Morcilla V, Bacchus-Souffan C, Fisher K, Horsburgh BA, Hiener B, Wang XQ, Schlub TE, Fitch M, Hoh R, Hecht FM, Martin JN, Deeks SG, Hellerstein MK, McCune JM, Hunt PW, Palmer S. HIV-1 Genomes Are Enriched in Memory CD4+ T-Cells with Short Half-Lives. mBio. 2021 Sep 21; e0244721.
- McCune JM, Stevenson SC, Doehle BP, Trenor CC, Turner EH, Spector JM. Collaborative science to advance gene therapies in resource-limited parts of the world. Mol Ther. 2021 11 03; 29(11):3101-3102.
- Rutishauser RL, Deguit CDT, Hiatt J, Blaeschke F, Roth TL, Wang L, Raymond KA, Starke CE, Mudd JC, Chen W, Smullin C, Matus-Nicodemos R, Hoh R, Krone M, Hecht FM, Pilcher CD, Martin JN, Koup RA, Douek DC, Brenchley JM, Sékaly RP, Pillai SK, Marson A, Deeks SG, McCune JM, Hunt PW. TCF-1 regulates HIV-specific CD8+ T cell expansion capacity. JCI Insight. 2021 02 08; 6(3).
- Bacchus-Souffan C, Fitch M, Symons J, Abdel-Mohsen M, Reeves DB, Hoh R, Stone M, Hiatt J, Kim P, Chopra A, Ahn H, York VA, Cameron DL, Hecht FM, Martin JN, Yukl SA, Mallal S, Cameron PU, Deeks SG, Schiffer JT, Lewin SR, Hellerstein MK, McCune JM, Hunt PW. Relationship between CD4 T cell turnover, cellular differentiation and HIV persistence during ART. PLoS Pathog. 2021 01; 17(1):e1009214.
- Bunis DG, Bronevetsky Y, Krow-Lucal E, Bhakta NR, Kim CC, Nerella S, Jones N, Mendoza VF, Bryson YJ, Gern JE, Rutishauser RL, Ye CJ, Sirota M, McCune JM, Burt TD. Single-Cell Mapping of Progressive Fetal-to-Adult Transition in Human Naive T Cells. Cell Rep. 2021 01 05; 34(1):108573.
- Ahmed R, Miners KL, Lahoz-Beneytez J, Jones RE, Roger L, Baboonian C, Zhang Y, Wang ECY, Hellerstein MK, McCune JM, Baird DM, Price DA, Macallan DC, Asquith B, Ladell K. CD57+ Memory T Cells Proliferate In Vivo. Cell Rep. 2020 12 15; 33(11):108501.
- Lewin SR, Attoye T, Bansbach C, Doehle B, Dubé K, Dybul M, SenGupta D, Jiang A, Johnston R, Lamplough R, McCune JM, Nabel GJ, Ndung'u T, Pottage J, Ripin D, Rooney JF, Sikazwe I, Nsubuga M, Warren M, Deeks SG, Sunnylands 2019 Working Group . Multi-stakeholder consensus on a target product profile for an HIV cure. Lancet HIV. 2021 01; 8(1):e42-e50.
- Dybul M, Attoye T, Baptiste S, Cherutich P, Dabis F, Deeks SG, Dieffenbach C, Doehle B, Goodenow MM, Jiang A, Kemps D, Lewin SR, Lumpkin MM, Mathae L, McCune JM, Ndung'u T, Nsubuga M, Peay HL, Pottage J, Warren M, Sikazwe I, Sunnylands 2019 Working Group . The case for an HIV cure and how to get there. Lancet HIV. 2021 01; 8(1):e51-e58.
- McCune JM, Turner EH, Jiang A, Doehle BP. Bringing Gene Therapies for HIV Disease to Resource-Limited Parts of the World. Hum Gene Ther. 2021 Jan; 32(1-2):21-30.
- Johnson SR, Brinks R, Costenbader KH, Daikh D, Mosca M, Ramsey-Goldman R, Smolen JS, Wofsy D, Boumpas DT, Kamen DL, Jayne D, Cervera R, Costedoat-Chalumeau N, Diamond B, Gladman DD, Hahn B, Hiepe F, Jacobsen S, Khanna D, Lerstrøm K, Massarotti E, McCune J, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Schneider M, Urowitz M, Bertsias G, Hoyer BF, Leuchten N, Tani C, Tedeschi SK, Touma Z, Schmajuk G, Anic B, Assan F, Chan TM, Clarke AE, Crow MK, Czirják L, Doria A, Graninger WB, Halda-Kiss B, Hasni S, Izmirly PM, Jung M, Kumánovics G, Mariette X, Padjen I, Pego-Reigosa JM, Romero-Diaz J, Rúa-Figueroa Í, Seror R, Stummvoll GH, Tanaka Y, Tektonidou MG, Vasconcelos C, Vital EM, Wallace DJ, Yavuz S, Meroni PL, Fritzler MJ, Naden R, Dörner T, Aringer M. Performance of the 2019 EULAR/ACR classification criteria for systemic lupus erythematosus in early disease, across sexes and ethnicities. Ann Rheum Dis. 2020 10; 79(10):1333-1339.
- Cham LB, Torrez Dulgeroff LB, Tal MC, Adomati T, Li F, Bhat H, Huang A, Lang PA, Moreno ME, Rivera JM, Galkina SA, Kosikova G, Stoddart CA, McCune JM, Myers LM, Weissman IL, Lang KS, Hasenkrug KJ. Immunotherapeutic Blockade of CD47 Inhibitory Signaling Enhances Innate and Adaptive Immune Responses to Viral Infection. Cell Rep. 2020 04 14; 31(2):107494.
- Ndung'u T, McCune JM, Deeks SG. Why and where an HIV cure is needed and how it might be achieved. Nature. 2019 12; 576(7787):397-405.
- McCune JM, Weissman IL. The Ban on US Government Funding Research Using Human Fetal Tissues: How Does This Fit with the NIH Mission to Advance Medical Science for the Benefit of the Citizenry? Stem Cell Reports. 2019 11 12; 13(5):777-786.
- Deguit CDT, Hough M, Hoh R, Krone M, Pilcher CD, Martin JN, Deeks SG, McCune JM, Hunt PW, Rutishauser RL. Some Aspects of CD8+ T-Cell Exhaustion Are Associated With Altered T-Cell Mitochondrial Features and ROS Content in HIV Infection. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2019 10 01; 82(2):211-219.
- Aringer M, Costenbader K, Daikh D, Brinks R, Mosca M, Ramsey-Goldman R, Smolen JS, Wofsy D, Boumpas DT, Kamen DL, Jayne D, Cervera R, Costedoat-Chalumeau N, Diamond B, Gladman DD, Hahn B, Hiepe F, Jacobsen S, Khanna D, Lerstrøm K, Massarotti E, McCune J, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Schneider M, Urowitz M, Bertsias G, Hoyer BF, Leuchten N, Tani C, Tedeschi SK, Touma Z, Schmajuk G, Anic B, Assan F, Chan TM, Clarke AE, Crow MK, Czirják L, Doria A, Graninger W, Halda-Kiss B, Hasni S, Izmirly PM, Jung M, Kumánovics G, Mariette X, Padjen I, Pego-Reigosa JM, Romero-Diaz J, Rúa-Figueroa Fernández Í, Seror R, Stummvoll GH, Tanaka Y, Tektonidou MG, Vasconcelos C, Vital EM, Wallace DJ, Yavuz S, Meroni PL, Fritzler MJ, Naden R, Dörner T, Johnson SR. 2019 European League Against Rheumatism/American College of Rheumatology Classification Criteria for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2019 09; 71(9):1400-1412.
- Aringer M, Costenbader K, Daikh D, Brinks R, Mosca M, Ramsey-Goldman R, Smolen JS, Wofsy D, Boumpas DT, Kamen DL, Jayne D, Cervera R, Costedoat-Chalumeau N, Diamond B, Gladman DD, Hahn B, Hiepe F, Jacobsen S, Khanna D, Lerstrøm K, Massarotti E, McCune J, Ruiz-Irastorza G, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Schneider M, Urowitz M, Bertsias G, Hoyer BF, Leuchten N, Tani C, Tedeschi SK, Touma Z, Schmajuk G, Anic B, Assan F, Chan TM, Clarke AE, Crow MK, Czirják L, Doria A, Graninger W, Halda-Kiss B, Hasni S, Izmirly PM, Jung M, Kumánovics G, Mariette X, Padjen I, Pego-Reigosa JM, Romero-Diaz J, Rúa-Figueroa Fernández Í, Seror R, Stummvoll GH, Tanaka Y, Tektonidou MG, Vasconcelos C, Vital EM, Wallace DJ, Yavuz S, Meroni PL, Fritzler MJ, Naden R, Dörner T, Johnson SR. 2019 European League Against Rheumatism/American College of Rheumatology classification criteria for systemic lupus erythematosus. Ann Rheum Dis. 2019 09; 78(9):1151-1159.
- Swainson LA, Ahn H, Pajanirassa P, Khetarpal V, Deleage C, Estes JD, Hunt PW, Munoz-Sanjuan I, McCune JM. Kynurenine 3-Monooxygenase Inhibition during Acute Simian Immunodeficiency Virus Infection Lowers PD-1 Expression and Improves Post-Combination Antiretroviral Therapy CD4+ T Cell Counts and Body Weight. J Immunol. 2019 08 15; 203(4):899-910.
- Vásquez JJ, Aguilar-Rodriguez BL, Rodriguez L, Hogan LE, Somsouk M, McCune JM, Deeks SG, Laszik ZG, Hunt PW, Henrich TJ. CD32-RNA Co-localizes with HIV-RNA in CD3+ Cells Found within Gut Tissues from Viremic and ART-Suppressed Individuals. Pathog Immun. 2019; 4(1):147-160.
- Peluso MJ, Deeks SG, McCune JM. HIV "cure": A shot in the arm? EBioMedicine. 2019 04; 42:3-5.
- Hanscombe KB, Morris DL, Noble JA, Dilthey AT, Tombleson P, Kaufman KM, Comeau M, Langefeld CD, Alarcon-Riquelme ME, Gaffney PM, Jacob CO, Sivils KL, Tsao BP, Alarcon GS, Brown EE, Croker J, Edberg J, Gilkeson G, James JA, Kamen DL, Kelly JA, McCune J, Merrill JT, Petri M, Ramsey-Goldman R, Reveille JD, Salmon JE, Scofield H, Utset T, Wallace DJ, Weisman MH, Kimberly RP, Harley JB, Lewis CM, Criswell LA, Vyse TJ. Genetic fine mapping of systemic lupus erythematosus MHC associations in Europeans and African Americans. Hum Mol Genet. 2018 11 01; 27(21):3813-3824.
- Chitre AS, Kattah MG, Rosli YY, Pao M, Deswal M, Deeks SG, Hunt PW, Abdel-Mohsen M, Montaner LJ, Kim CC, Ma A, Somsouk M, McCune JM. A20 upregulation during treated HIV disease is associated with intestinal epithelial cell recovery and function. PLoS Pathog. 2018 03; 14(3):e1006806.
- Vasquez JJ, Hussien R, Aguilar-Rodriguez B, Junger H, Dobi D, Henrich TJ, Thanh C, Gibson E, Hogan LE, McCune J, Hunt PW, Stoddart CA, Laszik ZG. Elucidating the Burden of HIV in Tissues Using Multiplexed Immunofluorescence and In Situ Hybridization: Methods for the Single-Cell Phenotypic Characterization of Cells Harboring HIV In Situ. J Histochem Cytochem. 2018 Jun; 66(6):427-446.
- Anzinger JJ, Butterfield TR, Gouillou M, McCune JM, Crowe SM, Palmer CS. Glut1 Expression Level on Inflammatory Monocytes is Associated With Markers of Cardiovascular Disease Risk in HIV-Infected Individuals. . 2018 02 01; 77(2):e28-e30.
- Méndez-Lagares G, Lu D, Chen C, Terrault N, Segal MR, Khalili M, Monto A, Shen H, Manos MM, Lanier LL, Ryan JC, McCune JM, Hartigan-O'Connor DJ. Memory T Cell Proliferation before Hepatitis C Virus Therapy Predicts Antiviral Immune Responses and Treatment Success. J Immunol. 2018 02 01; 200(3):1124-1132.