Jae Sevelius, PhD
- Associate Professor, School of Medicine
- Recipient, Early-Career Award of Excellence in Behavioral Science (2016)
Displaying 1 - 61 of 61
- Sevelius JM, Chakravarty, D, Dilworth SE, Rebhcook, G, Neilands TB. . Measuring Satisfaction and Comfort with Gender Identity and Gender Expression among Transgender Women: Development and Validation of the Psychological Gender Affirmation Scale. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health. 2021; 6(18):3298. View on Pubmed
- D'Avanzo PA, Bass SB, Kelly PJ, Brajuha J, Gutierrez-Mock L, Sevelius J. Community Belonging and Attitudes Towards HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) Among Transgender Women. AIDS Behav. 2021 Feb 11. View on Pubmed
- Inclusion as illusion: erasing transgender women in research with MSM. J Int AIDS Soc. 2021 Jan; 24(1):e25661. View on Pubmed
- Sevelius JM, Chakravarty D, Dilworth SE, Rebchook G, Neilands TB. Gender Affirmation through Correct Pronoun Usage: Development and Validation of the Transgender Women's Importance of Pronouns (TW-IP) Scale. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020 Dec 19; 17(24). View on Pubmed
- Sauceda, J.A., Santiago-Rodriguez, E.I., Zaragoza, G., Rivas, C.E., Venegas, L., Zamudio-Haas, S., Gutierrez-Mock, L., Bass, S.B., Sevelius, JM . Housing stability and transactional sex among Spanish-speaking and English-speaking transgender women. Annals of LGBTQ+ Public and Population Health. 2020. View on Pubmed
- Gamarel KE, Sevelius JM, Neilands TB, Kaplan RL, Johnson MO, Nemoto T, Darbes LA, Operario D. Couples-based approach to HIV prevention for transgender women and their partners: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial testing the efficacy of the 'It Takes Two' intervention. BMJ Open. 2020 10 15; 10(10):e038723. View on Pubmed
- Williams, M. T., Bartlett, A., Michaels, T., Sevelius, J., & George, J. R.. Dr. Valentina Wasson: Questioning what we think we know about the foundations of psychedelic science. Journal of Psychedelic Studies. 2020. View on Pubmed
- Auerbach, J., Moran, L., Watson, C., Weber, S., Keatley, J., Sevelius, J.. We Are All Women: Barriers and facilitators to inclusion of transgender women in HIV treatment and support services designed for cisgender women. AIDS Patient Care and STDs. 2020. View on Pubmed
- HIV Testing and PrEP Use in a National Probability Sample of Sexually Active Transgender People in the United States. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2020 08 15; 84(5):437-442. View on Pubmed
- Grant RM, Pellegrini M, Defechereux PA, Anderson PL, Yu M, Glidden DV, O'Neal J, Yager J, Bhasin S, Sevelius J, Deutsch MB. Sex Hormone Therapy and Tenofovir Diphosphate Concentration in Dried Blood Spots: Primary Results of the iBrEATHe Study. Clin Infect Dis. 2020 Aug 08. View on Pubmed
- Suen, L; Lunn, M; Katuzny, K; Finn, S; Duncan, L; Sevelius, J; Flentje, A; Capriotti, M; Lubensky, M; Hunt, C; Weber, S; Bibbins-Domingo, K; Obedin-Maliver, J. . What sexual and gender minority people want researchers to know about sexual orientation and gender identity questions: a qualitative study. Archives of Sexual Behavior. 2020. View on Pubmed
- Blackstock, O., Platt, J., Golub, S.A. Anakaraonye, A.R., Norton, B.R. Walters, S.M., Sevelius, J.M., Cunningham, C.O.. A Pilot Study to Evaluate a Novel Pre-exposure Prophylaxis Peer Outreach and Navigation Intervention for Women at High Risk for HIV Infection. AIDS and Behavior. 2020. View on Pubmed
- Sevelius JM, Gutierrez-Mock L, Zamudio-Haas S, McCree B, Ngo A, Jackson A, Clynes C, Venegas L, Salinas A, Herrera C, Stein E, Operario D, Gamarel K. Research with Marginalized Communities: Challenges to Continuity During the COVID-19 Pandemic. AIDS Behav. 2020 07; 24(7):2009-2012. View on Pubmed
- Sevelius JM, Neilands TB, Dilworth S, Castro D, Johnson MO. Sheroes: Feasibility and Acceptability of a Community-Driven, Group-Level HIV Intervention Program for Transgender Women. AIDS Behav. 2020 May; 24(5):1551-1559. View on Pubmed
- Wiklund, L. O., Anderson-Carpenter, K. D., Sevelius, J. M., Ching, T., & Buchanan, N. T.. Translating research into practice to close the health disparity gap in the LGBTQIA+ community. Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2020; (54):S451-S45. View on Pubmed
- Longitudinal cohort of HIV-negative transgender women of colour in New York City: protocol for the TURNNT ('Trying to Understand Relationships, Networks and Neighbourhoods among Transgender women of colour') study. BMJ Open. 2020 04 01; 10(4):e032876. View on Pubmed
- Maiorana A, Sevelius J, Keatley J, Rebchook G. "She is Like a Sister to Me." Gender-Affirming Services and Relationships are Key to the Implementation of HIV Care Engagement Interventions with Transgender Women of Color. AIDS Behav. 2020 Jan 07. View on Pubmed
- Vincent W, Sevelius J, Lippman SA, Linnemayr S, Arnold EA. Identifying Opportunities for Collaboration Across the Social Sciences to Reach the 10-10-10: A Multilevel Approach. . 2019 12 01; 82 Suppl 2:S118-S123. View on Pubmed
- Gamarel KE, Sevelius JM, Reisner SL, Richardson RL, Darbes LA, Nemoto T, Operario D. Relationship Stigma and HIV Risk Behavior Among Cisgender Men Partnered with Transgender Women: The Moderating Role of Sexual Identity. Arch Sex Behav. 2020 01; 49(1):175-184. View on Pubmed
- Cahill SR, Keatley J, Wade Taylor S, Sevelius J, Elsesser SA, Geffen SR, Wang T, Mayer KH. "Some of us, we don't know where we're going to be tomorrow." Contextual factors affecting PrEP use and adherence among a diverse sample of transgender women in San Francisco. AIDS Care. 2020 05; 32(5):585-593. View on Pubmed
- Kendig NE, Cubitt A, Moss A, Sevelius J. Developing Correctional Policy, Practice, and Clinical Care Considerations for Incarcerated Transgender Patients Through Collaborative Stakeholder Engagement. J Correct Health Care. 2019 07; 25(3):277-286. View on Pubmed
- George, J.R., Michaels, T.I., Sevelius, J.M., Williams, M. . The Psychedelic Renaissance and the limitations of a White-dominant medical framework. Journal of Psychedelic Studies. 2019. View on Pubmed
- Sevelius J, Chakravarty D, Neilands TB, Keatley J, Shade SB, Johnson MO, Rebchook G. Evidence for the Model of Gender Affirmation: The Role of Gender Affirmation and Healthcare Empowerment in Viral Suppression Among Transgender Women of Color Living with HIV. AIDS Behav. 2019 May 29. View on Pubmed
- D'Avanzo PA, Bass SB, Brajuha J, Gutierrez-Mock L, Ventriglia N, Wellington C, Sevelius J. Medical Mistrust and PrEP Perceptions Among Transgender Women: A Cluster Analysis. Behav Med. 2019 Apr-Jun; 45(2):143-152. View on Pubmed
- Sevelius, J. . Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy with Transgender and Gender Diverse Individuals. Bulletin of the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, Special Edition: Women & Psychedelics. 2019; 1(24):39-42. View on Pubmed
- Sevelius J, Murray LR, Martinez Fernandes N, Veras MA, Grinsztejn B, Lippman SA. Optimising HIV programming for transgender women in Brazil. Cult Health Sex. 2019 05; 21(5):543-558. View on Pubmed
- Gamarel KE, Sevelius JM, Reisner SL, Coats CS, Nemoto T, Operario D. Commitment, interpersonal stigma, and mental health in romantic relationships between transgender women and cisgender male partners. J Soc Pers Relat. 2019 Jul; 36(7):2180-2201. View on Pubmed
- Hoffkling A, Obedin-Maliver J, Sevelius J. From erasure to opportunity: a qualitative study of the experiences of transgender men around pregnancy and recommendations for providers. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017 Nov 08; 17(Suppl 2):332. View on Pubmed
- Sevelius J, Jenness V. Challenges and opportunities for gender-affirming healthcare for transgender women in prison. Int J Prison Health. 2017 03 13; 13(1):32-40. View on Pubmed
- Meerwijk EL, Sevelius JM. Transgender Population Size in the United States: a Meta-Regression of Population-Based Probability Samples. Am J Public Health. 2017 Feb; 107(2):216. View on Pubmed
- Rebchook G, Keatley J, Contreras R, Perloff J, Molano LF, Reback CJ, Ducheny K, Nemoto T, Lin R, Birnbaum J, Woods T, Xavier J; SPNS Transgender Women of Color Study Group. The Transgender Women of Color Initiative: Implementing and Evaluating Innovative Interventions to Enhance Engagement and Retention in HIV Care. American Journal of Public Health. 2017. View on Pubmed
- Sevelius JM, Deutsch MB, Grant R. The future of PrEP among transgender women: the critical role of gender affirmation in research and clinical practices. J Int AIDS Soc. 2016; 19(7(Suppl 6)):21105. View on Pubmed
- Grant RM, Sevelius JM, Guanira JV, Aguilar JV, Chariyalertsak S, Deutsch MB. Transgender Women in Clinical Trials of Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis. . 2016 08 15; 72 Suppl 3:S226-9. View on Pubmed
- Radix A, Sevelius J, Deutsch MB. Transgender women, hormonal therapy and HIV treatment: a comprehensive review of the literature and recommendations for best practices. J Int AIDS Soc. 2016; 19(3 Suppl 2):20810. View on Pubmed
- Sevelius J, Deutsch MB, Glidden DV, Grant RM. PrEP adherence among trans women in Brazil-access needed for this key population - Authors' reply. Lancet HIV. 2016 05; 3(5):e200-1. View on Pubmed
- Pollock L, Silva-Santisteban A, Sevelius J, Salazar X. 'You should build yourself up as a whole product': Transgender female identity in Lima, Peru. Glob Public Health. 2016 Aug-Sep; 11(7-8):981-93. View on Pubmed
- Lippman SA, Moran L, Sevelius J, Castillo LS, Ventura A, Treves-Kagan S, Buchbinder S. Acceptability and Feasibility of HIV Self-Testing Among Transgender Women in San Francisco: A Mixed Methods Pilot Study. AIDS Behav. 2016 Apr; 20(4):928-38. View on Pubmed
- Bockting W, Coleman E, Deutsch MB, Guillamon A, Meyer I, Meyer W, Reisner S, Sevelius J, Ettner R. Adult development and quality of life of transgender and gender nonconforming people. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2016 Apr; 23(2):188-97. View on Pubmed
- Safer JD, Coleman E, Feldman J, Garofalo R, Hembree W, Radix A, Sevelius J. Barriers to healthcare for transgender individuals. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2016 Apr; 23(2):168-71. View on Pubmed
- Sevelius JM, Keatley J, Calma N, Arnold E. 'I am not a man': Trans-specific barriers and facilitators to PrEP acceptability among transgender women. Glob Public Health. 2016 Aug-Sep; 11(7-8):1060-75. View on Pubmed
- Kaplan RL, Sevelius J, Ribeiro K. In the name of brevity: The problem with binary HIV risk categories. Glob Public Health. 2016 Aug-Sep; 11(7-8):824-34. View on Pubmed
- Deutsch MB, Glidden DV, Sevelius J, Keatley J, McMahan V, Guanira J, Kallas EG, Chariyalertsak S, Grant RM, . HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis in transgender women: a subgroup analysis of the iPrEx trial. Lancet HIV. 2015 Dec; 2(12):e512-9. View on Pubmed
- Reisner SL, White Hughto JM, Pardee D, Sevelius J. Syndemics and gender affirmation: HIV sexual risk in female-to-male trans masculine adults reporting sexual contact with cisgender males. Int J STD AIDS. 2016 10; 27(11):955-66. View on Pubmed
- Light AD, Obedin-Maliver J, Sevelius JM, Kerns JL. Transgender men who experienced pregnancy after female-to-male gender transitioning. Obstet Gynecol. 2014 Dec; 124(6):1120-1127. View on Pubmed
- Sevelius, J. . Transgender Issues in HIV. HIV Specialist: Patient Care, Practice Management, and Professional Information for HIV Care Providers. American Academy of HIV Medicine. 2014. View on Pubmed
- Sevelius, J., Sa’id, A., Warri, V.. Becoming Janet Mock. [Review of the book Redefining realness: My path to womanhood, identity, love and so much more., by J. Mock]. PsychCRITIQUES. 2014; 51(59). View on Pubmed
- Deutsch MB, Keatley J, Sevelius J, Shade SB. Collection of gender identity data using electronic medical records: survey of current end-user practices. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2014 Nov-Dec; 25(6):657-63.
- Sevelius JM, Saberi P, Johnson MO. Correlates of antiretroviral adherence and viral load among transgender women living with HIV. AIDS Care. 2014; 26(8):976-82.
- Sevelius JM, Patouhas E, Keatley JG, Johnson MO. Barriers and facilitators to engagement and retention in care among transgender women living with human immunodeficiency virus. Ann Behav Med. 2014 Feb; 47(1):5-16.
- Reisner SL, Bailey Z, Sevelius J. Racial/ethnic disparities in history of incarceration, experiences of victimization, and associated health indicators among transgender women in the U.S. Women Health. 2014; 54(8):750-67.
- Sevelius JM. Gender Affirmation: A Framework for Conceptualizing Risk Behavior among Transgender Women of Color. Sex Roles. 2013 Jun 01; 68(11-12):675-689.
- Jefferson K, Neilands TB, Sevelius J. Transgender women of color: discrimination and depression symptoms. Ethn Inequal Health Soc Care. 2013; 6(4):121-136.
- Sevelius, J. & Johnson, M.O. . HIV Prevention in Transgender Persons. Encyclopedia of AIDS. 2012.
- Johnson MO, Sevelius JM, Dilworth SE, Saberi P, Neilands TB. Preliminary support for the construct of health care empowerment in the context of treatment for human immunodeficiency virus. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2012; 6:395-404.
- Sevelius JM, Keatley J, Gutierrez-Mock L. HIV/AIDS programming in the United States: considerations affecting transgender women and girls. Womens Health Issues. 2011 Nov; 21(6 Suppl):S278-82.
- Sevelius JM, Carrico A, Johnson MO. Antiretroviral therapy adherence among transgender women living with HIV. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2010 May-Jun; 21(3):256-64.
- Sevelius J. "There's no pamphlet for the kind of sex I have": HIV-related risk factors and protective behaviors among transgender men who have sex with nontransgender men. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2009 Sep-Oct; 20(5):398-410.
- Sevelius JM, Reznick OG, Hart SL, Schwarcz S. Informing interventions: the importance of contextual factors in the prediction of sexual risk behaviors among transgender women. AIDS Educ Prev. 2009 Apr; 21(2):113-27.
- Stake, J.E., Sevelius, J.M., Hanly, S. . Student responsiveness to women's and gender studies classes: The importance of initial student attitudes and classroom relationships. NWSA Journal. 2008; 2(20):189-215.
- Operario D, Burton J, Underhill K, Sevelius J. Men who have sex with transgender women: challenges to category-based HIV prevention. AIDS Behav. 2008 Jan; 12(1):18-26.
- Sevelius, J.M. & Stake, J.E. . The effects of prior attitudes and attitude importance on attitude change and class impact in women’s and gender studies. Journal of Applied Social Psychology. 2003; (33):2341 – 2353.
UCSF News Center,
UCSF News Center,
UCSF News Center,
UCSF News Center,
UCSF News Center,
UCSF News Center,