Hyman Scott, MD, MPH
Hyman Scott, MD, MPH is the Clinical Research Medical Director at Bridge HIV in the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH), and an Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). He received his MD from Yale School of Medicine; and completed his Internal Medicine residency, Chief Residency, Infectious Disease fellowship, and post-doctoral research training in the Traineeship for AIDS Prevention Studies at UCSF. He has a particular interest in the epidemiology of HIV-related racial/ethnic disparities among men who have sex with men (MSM), and interventions to reduce these disparities. Dr. Scott currently has a NIMH K23 award to develop and test a mobile app-based combination HIV intervention of home HIV self-testing, STI self-collection, and Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) uptake among young Black and Latino MSM in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Spotlight: 2018 CFAR Excellence Award Recipient
Growing up outside of Chicago, in Olympia Fields, Hyman Scott detoured to Yale University School of Medicine for his MD, before arriving in San Francisco to complete his residency, chief residency, and Infectious Disease fellowship at UCSF. Crossing the bridge with regularity, Scott also received an MPH from the University of California, Berkeley.
A true blend of clinician researcher, Scott explores how to best develop and evaluate technology-based interventions that support and encourage HIV/STI testing, linkage to care, and prevention for young Black and Latino men who have sex with men. Based on his most recent findings, Scott next hopes to identify new strategies that can increase the uptake of the most effective HIV prevention interventions in these communities most impacted by HIV.
Currently living in SOMA with his partner of 12 years, Scott escapes the city to horseback ride and travel to new cities in countries in his free time.
All of these successes can come together to help Scott achieve his dream goal in the field of HIV –“to be a part of the to end HIV, and it's associated disparities, in San Francisco,” would be my ultimate success he says.
Displaying 1 - 25 of 56
- Cohen KW, Fiore-Gartland A, Walsh SR, Yusim K, Frahm N, Elizaga ML, Maenza J, Scott H, Mayer KH, Goepfert PA, Edupuganti S, Pantaleo G, Hutter J, Morris DE, De Rosa SC, Geraghty DE, Robb ML, Michael NL, Fischer W, Giorgi EE, Malhi H, Pensiero MN, Ferrari G, Tomaras GD, Montefiori DC, Gilbert PB, McElrath MJ, Haynes BF, Korber BT, Baden LR, NIAID HVTN 106 Study Group. Trivalent mosaic or consensus HIV immunogens prime humoral and broader cellular immune responses in adults. J Clin Invest. 2023 02 15; 133(4).
- Allan-Blitz LT, Carragher K, Sukhija-Cohen A, Ritchie P, Scott H, Li H, Klausner JD. Laboratory validation and clinical performance of a saliva-based test for monkeypox virus. J Med Virol. 2023 Jan; 95(1):e28191.
- Buchbinder SP, Siegler AJ, Coleman K, Vittinghoff E, Wilde G, Lockard A, Scott H, Anderson PL, Laborde N, van der Straten A, Christie RH, Marlborough M, Liu AY. Randomized Controlled Trial of Automated Directly Observed Therapy for Measurement and Support of PrEP Adherence Among Young Men Who have Sex with Men. AIDS Behav. 2022 Aug 19.
- Saberi P, Stoner MCD, Ming K, Lisha NE, Hojilla JC, Scott HM, Liu AY, Steward WT, Johnson MO, Neilands TB. The effect of an HIV preexposure prophylaxis panel management strategy to increase preexposure prophylaxis prescriptions. AIDS. 2022 11 01; 36(13):1783-1789.
- Shrestha I, Ming K, Jimenez V, Wendelborn J, Vazquez A, Steward W, Scott H, Saberi P. Lessons Learned from an HIV Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis Coordination Program in San Francisco Primary Care Clinics. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2022 Aug; 38(8):611-614.
- Saberi P, Ming K, Shrestha I, Scott H, Thorson B, Liu A. Feasibility and Acceptability of Home-Collected Samples for Human Immunodeficiency Virus Preexposure Prophylaxis and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Laboratory Tests in San Francisco Primary Care Clinics. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2022 Feb; 9(2):ofab657.
- Le Guillou A, Buchbinder S, Scott H, Liu A, Havlir D, Scheer S, Jenness SM. Population Impact and Efficiency of Improvements to HIV PrEP Under Conditions of High ART Coverage among San Francisco Men Who Have Sex with Men. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2021 Aug 05.
- Landovitz RJ, Donnell D, Clement ME, Hanscom B, Cottle L, Coelho L, Cabello R, Chariyalertsak S, Dunne EF, Frank I, Gallardo-Cartagena JA, Gaur AH, Gonzales P, Tran HV, Hinojosa JC, Kallas EG, Kelley CF, Losso MH, Madruga JV, Middelkoop K, Phanuphak N, Santos B, Sued O, Valencia Huamaní J, Overton ET, Swaminathan S, Del Rio C, Gulick RM, Richardson P, Sullivan P, Piwowar-Manning E, Marzinke M, Hendrix C, Li M, Wang Z, Marrazzo J, Daar E, Asmelash A, Brown TT, Anderson P, Eshleman SH, Bryan M, Blanchette C, Lucas J, Psaros C, Safren S, Sugarman J, Scott H, Eron JJ, Fields SD, Sista ND, Gomez-Feliciano K, Jennings A, Kofron RM, Holtz TH, Shin K, Rooney JF, Smith KY, Spreen W, Margolis D, Rinehart A, Adeyeye A, Cohen MS, McCauley M, Grinsztejn B, HPTN 083 Study Team . Cabotegravir for HIV Prevention in Cisgender Men and Transgender Women. N Engl J Med. 2021 08 12; 385(7):595-608.
- Louie JK, Scott HM, DuBois A, Sturtz N, Lu W, Stoltey J, Masinde G, Cohen S, Sachdev D, Philip S, Bobba N, Aragon T, San Francisco Department of Public Health COVID-19 Skilled Nursing Facility Outbreak Response Team . Lessons From Mass-Testing for Coronavirus Disease 2019 in Long-Term Care Facilities for the Elderly in San Francisco. Clin Infect Dis. 2021 06 01; 72(11):2018-2020.
- Saberi P, Ming K, Hojilla JC, Scott HM, Neilands TB. HIV Preexposure Prophylaxis in the Time of COVID-19: How a Robust and Responsive HIV Preexposure Prophylaxis Intervention Can Avert Loss of HIV Prevention Coverage During a Global Pandemic. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2021 05 01; 87(1):e173-e176.
- Hightow-Weidman LB, Horvath KJ, Scott H, Hill-Rorie J, Bauermeister JA. Engaging youth in mHealth: what works and how can we be sure? Mhealth. 2021; 7:23.
- Biello KB, Horvitz C, Mullin S, Mayer KH, Scott H, Coleman K, Dormitzer J, Norelli J, Hightow-Weidman L, Sullivan P, Mimiaga MJ, Buchbinder S, Bojan K, Futterman D, Emmanuel P, Liu A. HIV self-testing and STI self-collection via mobile apps: experiences from two pilot randomized controlled trials of young men who have sex with men. Mhealth. 2021; 7:26.
- Siegler AJ, Knox J, Bauermeister JA, Golinkoff J, Hightow-Weidman L, Scott H. Mobile app development in health research: pitfalls and solutions. Mhealth. 2021; 7:32.
- Louie JK, Stoltey JE, Scott HM, Trammell S, Ememu E, Samuel MC, Aragon TJ, Masinde G. Comparison of symptomatic and asymptomatic infections due to severe acute respiratory coronavirus virus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in San Francisco long-term care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2020 Dec 14; 1-3.
- Kanazawa JT, Saberi P, Sauceda JA, Dubé K. The LAIs Are Coming! Implementation Science Considerations for Long-Acting Injectable Antiretroviral Therapy in the United States: A Scoping Review. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2021 02; 37(2):75-88.
- Louie JK, Scott HM, Lu W, Chodos A, DuBois A, Sturtz N, Stoltey J. COVID-19-Associated Deaths in San Francisco: the Important Role of Dementia and Atypical Presentations in Long-term Care Facilities. J Gen Intern Med. 2020 11; 35(11):3413-3415.
- Louie JK, Stoltey J, Scott HM, DuBois A, Golden L, Philip S, Aragón TJ. Early COVID-19 Successes in Skilled Nursing Facilities in San Francisco. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2020 12; 68(12):2744-2745.
- Laborde ND, Kinley PM, Spinelli M, Vittinghoff E, Whitacre R, Scott HM, Buchbinder SP. Understanding PrEP Persistence: Provider and Patient Perspectives. AIDS Behav. 2020 Sep; 24(9):2509-2519.
- Spinelli MA, Laborde N, Kinley P, Whitacre R, Scott HM, Walker N, Liu AY, Gandhi M, Buchbinder SP. The importance of PrEP persistence in preventing HIV infections on PrEP. J Int AIDS Soc. 2020 08; 23(8):e25578.
- Saberi P. Research in the Time of Coronavirus: Continuing Ongoing Studies in the Midst of the COVID-19 Pandemic. AIDS Behav. 2020 08; 24(8):2232-2235.
- Spinelli MA, Laborde N, Kinley P, Whitacre R, Scott HM, Walker N, Liu AY, Gandhi M, Buchbinder SP. Missed opportunities to prevent HIV infections among pre-exposure prophylaxis users: a population-based mixed methods study, San Francisco, United States. J Int AIDS Soc. 2020 04; 23(4):e25472.
- Saberi P, Eskaf S, Sauceda J, Evans D, Dubé K. Perceptions of HIV Virologic Control Strategies Among Younger and Older Age Groups of People Living with HIV in the United States: A Cross-Sectional Survey. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2020 07; 36(7):606-615.
- Scott H, Vittinghoff E, Irvin R, Liu A, Nelson L, Del Rio C, Magnus M, Mannheimer S, Fields S, Van Tieu H, Kuo I, Shoptaw S, Grinsztejn B, Sanchez J, Wakefield S, Fuchs JD, Wheeler D, Mayer KH, Koblin BA, Buchbinder S. Development and Validation of the Personalized Sexual Health Promotion (SexPro) HIV Risk Prediction Model for Men Who Have Sex with Men in the United States. AIDS Behav. 2020 Jan; 24(1):274-283.
- Scott HM, Spinelli M, Vittinghoff E, Morehead-Gee A, Hirozawa A, James C, Hammer H, Liu A, Gandhi M, Buchbinder S. Racial/ethnic and HIV risk category disparities in preexposure prophylaxis discontinuation among patients in publicly funded primary care clinics. AIDS. 2019 11 15; 33(14):2189-2195.
- Scott H, Volberding PA. HIV Screening and Preexposure Prophylaxis Guidelines: Following the Evidence. JAMA. 2019 06 11; 321(22):2172-2174.