Recruiting for new CFAR Associate Director of Equity!
Dear CFAR community:
CFAR released a call for applicants for a joint Associate Director for Equity/CFAR Mentoring Program Co-Director in October. After consultation with our Internal Advisory Board, we have decided to split this position into two separate roles (Associate Director for Equity and the Mentoring Program Co-Director) so that each role will have the time and support necessary to thrive.
We were able to assess the applications for the Mentoring Program Co-Director role more thoroughly as the responsibilities were well-delineated in the job description and subsequently named Dr. John Sauceda to the Mentoring Program Co-Director position after a competitive process.
Having taken additional time to develop the role and responsibilities of the position, the UCSF-Gladstone CFAR is now recruiting the Associate Director for Equity.
The CFAR Associate Director for Equity would serve as the champion for equity across the CFAR, both for recruiting and retaining diverse participants in the research cohorts funded by the CFAR and for inclusion initiatives for HIV-focused investigators across UCSF and its affiliates. Salary support of 5% FTE (up to the NIH salary cap) will be provided.
- Provide oversight of efforts to assess and create a strategic plan to further address a broad spectrum of issues pertaining to equity and inclusion in research within and across CFAR’s translational science spectrum (T1-T5)
- Provide oversight of ongoing efforts to increase the diversity of participants within the CFAR-funded cohorts
- Provide oversight on strategic efforts by the CFAR leadership to support early stage investigators from underrepresented minority (URM) groups in biomedical and behavioral research
The following qualities, skills, expertise, and qualifications are important in this role:
- HIV/AIDS researcher with a track record of independent NIH-funded HIV research and publications in the field of HIV/AIDS
- Interest in ensuring equitable representation of racial/ethnic minorities in HIV research
- Contributions in scholarship and research, teaching and service (e.g., mentoring, pedagogy, activism, recruitment, community action or community engaged research, research on issues related to diversity, social inequalities and social justice)
- UCSF, Gladstone, SFDPH, Vitalant, SFVAMC appointment at the Assistant Professor level or above
- MD, Ph.D. or other doctoral degree in relevant field
- Collaborative, interdisciplinary mindset, team-oriented
- Receptive to feedback
- Diplomatic, strategic, and innovative thinker
URM investigators who fit the criteria above are encouraged to apply. If interested, applicants should submit their NIH Biosketch or CV as well as a cover letter addressing their interest in the position, their relevant research and mentoring experience, and discussing any other factors they think should be considered by the review committee.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: February 10, 2020
Please submit your application here: https://cfar.ucsf.edu/call-applicants-cfar-associate-director-equity
Please send any questions about this opportunity to Monica Gandhi.
Monica Gandhi, CFAR Director